YFS execs seek to expand Student Centre

Brent Rose
Managing Editor

Increasing demands for university degrees inevitably leads to ever-expanding student bodies and, with that, an increasing demand for more student space.
York’s Keele campus is no exception to this rule.
After looking at York’s overpopulation – which has been ballooning over the past several years, making York the second-largest university in Canada – and the lack of space for students, the York Federation of Students (YFS) has proposed the creation of a “new” Student Centre to accommodate the growth.
“Over the last few years, we’ve seen that the number of student clubs on campus have grown tremendously,” said YFS president Krisna Saravanamuttu at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), a yearly event which invites York under-graduates to vote on changes to YFS bylaws and initiatives.
At this particular meeting, a proposal to expand the York University Student Centre (YUSC) to properly accommodate club space garnered much attention.
The YUSC houses fast-food restaurants such as Subway, Wendy’s, KFC and Taco Bell, but also contains office spaces and rooms on the upper levels for student clubs to socialize and operate.
“There hasn’t been a parallel growth in student space on our cam- pus to accommodate the diversity of clubs that are operating at York University,” said Saravanamuttu, who suggested constructing a separate Student Centre on Keele campus.
He also entertained the possibility of adding extra floors to the existing YUSC, but stated that no plans are concrete as of now due to unsure cost estimates.
Alastair Woods, external coordinator of TBLGAY, spoke up at the AGM about how the club is in desperate need of more space.
“We are quite lucky because we do have one of the largest spaces in the Student Centre,” said Woods. “But there is an important need to try and expand space so we can ac- commodate more student clubs and
initiatives.” Woods also made suggestions to make the YUSC more accessible to people with disabilities and to allow for healthier food options in the food court.
Students at the AGM passed the proposal unanimously.
The motion explained the YFS will advocate for more club offices, prayer spaces and spaces for YFS Community Services Groups.
According to Keith Marnoch, associate director of media relations, York administration is willing to work with the YFS to look into the possibility of expanding the Student Centre.
Saravanamuttu said executive members from both the Student Centre and the YFS have met with Gary Brewer, York vice-president of finance and administration, and have been talking informally about possible expansion options.
“[Brewer] himself has reviewed that report and he has said that he is happy to work with us in the coming months to draft some type of proposal that we can take to the York University community,” said Saravanamuttu.
Though Saravanamuttu said the YFS is uncertain of their involvement of the upgraded Student Centre, he is sure “the YFS and the Student Centre will play an integral role in the maintenance of the a new [or extended] building.”
With files from Nicholas Maronese