The elections changes: what passed and what didn’t

Clarifying the role of the CRO: Passed
Both McCamus and Davis LLP suggested making the hiring process for the Chief Returning Officer (CRO), who oversees the elections, more explicit. The job will now be advertised by the YFS and in a student newspaper, and the Elections Committee will review the applications. The Board of Directors will hire one of top three candidates recommended by the committee.
Spending cap on campaigns: Partially Passed
Both McCamus and Davis LLP suggested reimbursing election candidates for campaign expenses while simultaneously imposing a spending limit on campaigns, though McCamus stated these expense reports should also be made public. Director candidates’ expenses will be capped at $100, and executives at $300. All candidates will be reimbursed for the full amount; however, those who exceed the cap will be disqualified without reimbursement.
Use of electronic voting: Not Passed
Davis LLP suggested electronic voting be investigated, and McCamus strongly recommended it, encouraging the YFS to at least hold a referendum about paper vs. electronic ballot options as they had promised in 2007. The YFS denounced the Evote system at the AGM, citing hacking and other technical difficulties at various Canadian universities. This is despite the fact the YFS used this system to successfully raise their own levy in 2007.
Clarify definition of campaign materials: Passed
Last year, the distribution of the Excalibur by members of the New York slate sparked controversy, and both McCamus and Davis LLP suggested clarifying the definition of what constitutes “campaign material.” The concept of “materials” and “tactics” have been separated; opinion pieces submitted for popular media must be approved by the CRO, but tactics such as handing out the Excalibur are alright.
Only York students can campaign: Not Passed
McCamus devoted an entire section to the fact that having non-York students campaign on behalf of candidates does not benefit the voting body; Davis LLP seemed to concur. However, no changes were made prohibiting non-York students from doing so. According to some, this gives the incumbent party an advantage, as they network with off-campus student union executives who assist in the incumbents’ re-election.