Diversity and disruption: supporting and celebrating non-binary gender identities

Paxton Davis | Contributor

Featured image: “self reflection” @nataliabonczek_art | Natalia Bonczek

In today’s world, non-binary gender identities are being talked about openly within academic settings, the media, and colloquially, to a greater extent than ever before.

Acceptance of open discussion about non-binary identities creates an illusionary perception that non-binary is a new identity—in reality, more people may be using this word to describe their experiences, but there are not more of us out there.

Growing awareness of non-binary identities have merely allowed individuals to feel more comfortable expressing their identity—however, non-binary individuals still fear not being accepted in heteronormative/cisnormative spaces, and experiencing negative reactions to their expression. But today, there are certainly more safe spaces for non-binary people to express who they are.

Non-binary is an umbrella term referring to anyone who does not identify within the dichotomous gender categories of male and female. Therefore, non-binary is a broad term that can be interpreted differently amongst various people, and/or something different to each individual at certain points in time. As with all identity labels, non-binary cannot be considered a static, universally-defined identity, so among those who identify with it, it can mean a constant evolution of one’s own identity.

As a non-binary individual, I feel it is not necessary to completely understand non-binary identity in order to show respect to us. What is most important is respecting the person’s proper pronouns and their chosen name. There is no need for excuses if one fails to use these pronouns or names; simply correcting one’s self shows respect.

Using gender neutral terms (they, ze, xe, etc.) in daily conversation with individuals shows respect and understanding that someone’s outward appearance may not necessarily match their gender identity.

Most importantly, respecting individual non-binary identities is about creating a conversation that disrupts the assumed binary nature of gender, while also facilitating public spaces that are safe and comfortable for gender non-conforming individuals.

It is important to talk about and acknowledge transgender and non-binary identities on an ongoing daily basis, instead of merely tokenizing these identities in an effort to create the illusion of acceptance and safety. This means taking concrete steps towards making it easier to move through the world as a transgender or non-binary person.

Our first step should be changing language to reflect the reality of complex gender identities, while the larger goal should be structural changes to institutional policies, practice, and information systems that prevent the erasure of gender identities that exist beyond the binary.

I believe that laying the foundation to challenge gender power relations, which marginalize those who defy the rigid, traditional categories of man and woman, is also a significant step toward acceptance. Nature delights in diversity, so why shouldn’t we as human beings embrace and celebrate our inherent diversity that ultimately makes us stronger?