2018 Black History Month Supplement Introduction

Edward Makolomi | Advertising Designer

Featured image: What Black Panther brings is a little different than what mainstream culture is trying to brainwash black folks with—for once, we are given a king. | Edward Makolomi

When February comes around, a few events are recognized: Valentine’s Day, reading week, and Family Day. All of these are prestigious holidays that we get to celebrate, allowing us to binge-watch movies, travel, or spend time with a special someone.

Then there’s Black History Month—not a holiday, but a month that allows us to acknowledge historical events like the Underground Railroad, leaders like Martin Luther King, and civil rights movements.

Those were just a few things that have been crafted and developed by African-Americans. However, the media has misrepresented how urban culture is portrayed, either by objectifying black culture with stereotypes, racism, or police brutality; events that black individuals have painfully endured.

With the assault of Rodney King back in 1991, to the shooting of Trayvon Martin in July 2013, black culture has been tainted with fear by mainstream media for too long. Fast forwarding to 2018, we are still experiencing racism.

However, Black History Month should not be a month to mourn over what is lost, but rather, celebrate what has been gained.

Through T.V. and film, how black ethnicity has been depicted in mainstream media is a lot different than how it was before.

Back in the 1990s, we had shows like The Fresh Prince of Belair, The Bill Cosby Show, and Different Worlds, all of which portrayed black individuals with respectable jobs. Heck, we even had a black talk show host, Oprah Winfrey. But nothing compares to that of a black superhero.

Yes, we had real heroes, like Malcom X and Muhammed Ali—but black folks still need something to brag about. So there was Spiderman, Batman, and others, but they were all predominantly of white descent. Now, we have black super heroes finally coming into the light, and I’m not just talking about Green Lantern (otherwise known as John Stewart), but also Luke Cage, Black Lighting, and, of course, Black Panther.

Black Lighting depicts a black principal gifted with the abilities to control electricity. Luke Cage, a blue-collared and bulletproof individual who works at a barber shop. Most recently, Black Panther, not just a hero, but king of Wakanda, a nation highly advanced with its own technology, art, and history.

Black Panther is not just a theatrical comic book movie made to sell tickets—okay, maybe it is—but hear me out.

A lot of times, anything related to black culture on television usually involves shooting, stabbing, or gang-related activity. Even in T.V. shows, we experience the same thing, where the upbringing of an African-American is shown as not having two parents, seeking to become a professional athlete, or becoming the local pharmacist.

But what Black Panther brings is a little different than what mainstream culture is trying to brainwash black folks with—for once, we are given a king. This comic book character is not just a representation of black culture, but also a relatable figure for others to strive towards. We need these characters who are role models for their communities, creating opportunities, and teaching black culture, like the real predecessors within it.