What You Missed in Sports Last Week + Upcoming Games

Photo Courtesy of Jonathan Chng, Unsplash

Hey, York lions! It’s after reading week and we are nearing the end of the school year. The university has announced that the union will be on strike until further notice, but that doesn’t mean sports at York will stop anytime soon.

Tait McKenzie will also stay open during the strike, so anyone with a gym membership will not be affected and can continue to use the facilities. There is a lively athletic community at York eager to welcome new athletes.

Let’s get straight into what you missed in sports last week at York! Hockey, football, track and field, and wrestling tournaments are just a few of the sports that have been ongoing during the week. 

On March 3, the women’s hockey team suffered an unfortunate loss against the Waterloo Warriors by 3 points in the OUA semi-finals. The team looks ahead to the 2024–25 season for another chance to compete for the title.

Goaltender Emma Wedgewood, who was named U SPORTS women’s hockey athlete of the week, has won this award for the second time this season. She is a second-year kinesiology and health science major. For the series, she’s allowed one goal out of 79 shots. 

Coming Up…

As for upcoming games this season, the Lions’ flag football team has an upcoming game on March 9. Athletes who have made their mark across the province will compete all day in tournaments. Seeing these athletes play is a part of encouraging a new generation of athletes. The coaches on this team are working hard to make women’s football a varsity sport through time and dedication. These athletes and coaches are unlike any other, training rain or shine, through snow and ice. Come out and show your support, let them know that their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.

Flag football remains an intramural sport, so if you are interested in participating bring your cleats, mouth guard, and football gloves down to Alumni Field for practice. Be sure to message the “YuWomen’s Football” Instagram account before you come to practice. We are always looking for new talent!

Third-year flag football player and digital media student, Sydnie Lynardatos, shares her love of the sport: “Flag football is a sport that celebrates diversity, welcoming players of all shapes and sizes. It’s a testament to the fact that athletic ability is not defined by a single body type; rather, it’s about skill, strategy, and the love of the game.” 

York is ranked 10th in U SPORTS Women’s Wrestling

Last week, The U SPORTS National Championship was held on March 2. The results of the match have not yet been released. Two athletes from York’s wrestling division — Ravkeerut Chahal from the men’s division and Prabhleen Randhawa from the women’s division — qualified for the championship. They alone went to compete and represent York against the top wrestlers in the country.

This was Chahal’s second time qualifying for the championships after finishing in sixth place in the 125kg division last season. This was Randhawa’s first time qualifying for the U SPORTS Championships as a rookie to the sport. On Nov. 19, 2023, she came in fourth place at the York Open and finished sixth in the OUA Championships!

Keeping Track

York’s track and field teams are revered, with ten podium finishes this season, 32 athletes meeting OUA standards, and highlighted athlete Tamarri Lindo setting a meet record in the 60-metre hurdle with a time of 8.12 seconds. We have very high hopes for him this season and can’t wait to see what he’ll accomplish next. York’s track and field team will be travelling to Winnipeg for the U SPORTS Championships. This event will be taking place from March 7 to 9. Find the composite schedule and stay up to date by checking here.

Last week was jam-packed, so continue to check in with Excalibur for more sports updates! For more information on tickets, game locations, and times, check out the game schedule here. Remember that you can always find drop in sports at Tait McKenzie and have some fun with your friends while classes are suspended.

Work hard, stay focused, and keep roaring lions!

By Olivia Borges

Sports Editor

sports@excal.on.ca