Lions drop to 0-4 following home loss to Carleton

(Courtesy of Jeremy Yudin)

The York Lions lost to the Carleton Ravens 52-0 in front of a home crowd on Saturday, Sept. 16.

It wasn’t looking good in the opening plays of the game, as York Offensive Lineman Santino Pasquale went down with an apparent injury.

After York’s offence only gained nine yards, Ravens Quarter Back Tristan Lefebvre pushed the ball up the field and threw a touchdown pass to Wide Receiver Hunter Brown to give the Ravens a 12-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, after York was unable to get a first down, Lefebvre threw another touchdown pass to Brown to push the lead to 19-0.

Ravens Defensive-Back Othman Brahm kept it going with an impressive 80-yard kick-return touchdown to push the lead to 25-0, and Carleton never looked back.

For the rest of the game, the Lions couldn’t break through Carleton’s rugged defence as Rookie Brayden Jupe had a moderate 58 per cent completion rate. 

York’s top receivers Alfred Olay and Avontae McKoy led their team with 59 and 29 yards respectively, but they couldn’t keep up with Carleton’s high-flying offence. The big difference in the game was total yards per team.

York finished with 126 total yards while Carleton exploded with a whopping 567 yards. York has been unable to score points in three of their first four games. On the other side of the ball, York had trouble holding down Carleton’s offence as Lefebvre threw for an impressive 77 per cent completion rate.

The Lions will look for their first win of the season in Guelph when they take on the Gryphons today, Sept. 23.

The Lions will be back at home the following weekend on Sept. 30 when they take on the Queen’s Gaels at York Lions Stadium at 1 p.m.

By Jeremy Yudin