Two more wins means the Lions are on top

Emily Goodwin | Editor-in-Chief

Featured Image: Julia McLennan looks for an opening during the Lions’ last home game, January 11. | Courtesy of Jojo Yanjiao Qian/York Lions

The Lions picked up back-to-back wins on the road this past weekend. The defeated both the UOIT Ridgebacks and Queen’s Gaels by a 4-1 margin.

Friday’s game against the Ridgebacks saw the Lions take an early lead, with Madison Davey scoring halfway through the first period. Ellen Donaldson and Ava Ricker-Singh recorded assists on her goal.

At the beginning of the second period, Kara Washer of the Lions scored on a power play with the help of Taylor Davison and Erin Locke to lead 2-0.

Despite the many chances the Ridgebacks had, they were unable to score until the third period when Natalie Wozney was able to score. Marissa Murphy and Jamie Bulleid assisted on this goal.

Prior to this, the Lions had scored their third goal, This one came off the stick of Brooke Anderson, who was assisted by Davison and Taylor Coward.

With 20 seconds left on the clock, Avery Reeves scored on an empty Ridgebacks net to put the Lions up 4-1. Ricker-Singh recorded her second assist of the game on this goal.

The following day, the Lions came out guns blazing, scoring three goals in the first period.

Coward kicked off the scoring at the eight minute mark, and was assisted by Kelsey McHolm and Ilena Ricker-Singh.

Four minutes later, Donaldson scored unassisted. McHolm also scored unassisted at the end of the period.

The Gaels stepped up their game heading into the second period, scoring just two minutes in.

Alex Maw scored what would be the Gaels only goal of the game. Sydney Wilson and Megan Laviolette recorded assists on this goal.

The rest of the period remained scoreless.

Samantha Jones of the Lions scored the Lions’ final goal of the game early in the third period, with assistance from Anderson and Becky Higgs.

Following this weekend’s victories, the Lions are now tied with the Varsity Blues for first in the OUA, with 37 points and 12 wins each. The Lions have also moved up to eighth place in the U Sports rankings, up from ninth place last week.

The Lions head to Guelph on January 22 to take on the Gryphons, and then return to home ice on Saturday, January 25 to take on the Brock Badgers at 2:15 p.m.