Tough weekend at home for the Lions

Emily Goodwin | Editor-in-Chief

Featured Image: The Lions celebrate one of their goals on home ice this past weekend. | Courtesy of Jojo Yanjiao Qian/York Lions

The winning streak the women’s hockey team has been enjoying came to an end this weekend with losses on home ice to both Waterloo and Windsor.

Heading into Friday’s match against the Waterloo Warriors, the Lions had won their previous seven contests, three of which were shut-outs.

In the first period, both teams played ferociously, with the Lions making seven shots on net and the Warriors making five. None of these attempts were successful and the period ended in a 0-0 tie.

The Warriors found their stride in the second period, scoring two goals while keeping the Lions at bay. Brooklyn Cole scored first at the four-minute mark, and Taytum Clairmont scored eight minutes later. Jessie Fennell assisted on both of these goals, and Selena Dirven assisted on Cole’s goal.

In the third period, the Lions hit the ice with intensity that paid off almost immediately. Courtney Gardiner sent the puck into the back of the Warriors’ net unassisted at the 1:17 mark. This brought the Lions within one point of their opponent with over 18 minutes left for the Lions to take the lead.

However, the Warriors rallied and scored two more goals in the final period. Krystin Lawrence and Clairmont scored within five minutes of each other, with Clairmont assisting on Lawrence’s goal and Cynthia Cavanagh assisting Clairmont. This brought the final score to 4-1 and gave the Lions their first loss since October 18.

On Saturday, the Lions were hoping to get back into the win column when they took on the Windsor Lancers, a team they beat 3-0 less than a month ago. Unfortunately, the game would go in favour of the Lancers, who only allowed one of the Lions’ shots into their net. The lone Lions goal came from Kelsey McHolm in the 17th minute of the first period. Gardiner and Kara Washer assisted McHolm with this goal.

The Lancers scored prior to the Lions. Maggie Peterson’s shot found its way past Lions goalkeeper Juliana Thomson just 10 seconds into the period. Olivia Lynch of the Lancers followed suit, scoring in the first minute of the second period with the help of Jessica Gribbon and Tori Chenier.

The Lancers added three more goals in the final period, with Gribbon, Kendi Lundell, and Chenier scoring at the 15, 18, and 19 minute mark respectively.

Despite a disappointing performance this weekend, the Lions are still sitting high in the OUA rankings. With a 7-3 record and 21 points, the Lions lay claim to third place.

The Lions will hit the road for their next two matches, though they will not have to travel far from home. On Thursday, November 21 they will take on the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, and on Saturday, November 23 they will pay a visit to the Ryerson Rams.

The Lions will return to Canlan Ice Sports the following weekend to take on the Laurentian Voyageurs on Friday, November 30 at 7 p.m. and the Nipissing Lakers on Saturday, November 30 at 7:15 p.m.