Women’s hockey starts 2019 off right

Samia Akhar | Contributor

Emily GoodwinEditor-in-Chief

Featured image courtesy of York Lions

With Alex Frigon of the UOIT Ridgebacks scoring in the first eight seconds of the match, the York Lions knew they had to bring their best to their home opener, and they did.

By the end of the period, the Lions finally made their way onto the scoreboard when Kelsey McHolm scored with the assistance of Taylor Davison to tie the Ridgebacks 1-1.

By the end of the second period, the Lions were up by two with a score of 3-1. Third-year forward Courtney Gardiner scored unassisted early in the period, and Tayler Murphy capitalized on a pass from Erin Locke to add another goal for the Lions.

The Lions continued to outshoot their opponents in the third period. Rookie forward Becky Higgs scored her first goal as a Lion with the help of Davison. The Ridgebacks were able to come back and score on a power play in the final minutes of the game, with Megan Johnson scoring with the help of Katie Heath and Erin Ross.

The Lions are off to an exceptional start to the season, with three wins under their belt and only one loss to Western two weeks ago.

The nationally-ranked Lions hope to continue their winning streak when they take on the Brock Badgers on Thursday, October 31 at 7:15 p.m. at Seymour-Hannah Arena in St. Catherines.