Lions race to third place finish

Emily GoodwinEditor-in-Chief

Featured image courtesy of York Lions

The Lions women’s cross country team is having a strong season. They had their best showing yet this past weekend when they finished third overall at the Don Mills Open on Saturday.

Rookie Carmen Krawczynski Gonzalez was the first Lion to cross the finish line in the 8km race, placing ninth with a time of 32:54 and earning York Lions Female Athlete of the Week accolades for her performance.

Teammates Anna Prouzou–who returns to the team after a three year hiatus–and Meaghan Evon finished in the top 20 in 14th and 19th place respectively. Rounding out the Lions contingent were Rebecca Wheeler, Patricia Rasowski, and Emily Fraschetti.

Head coach of the cross-country and track & field program Raymond Rudder credits the team’s success this year to the recruiting efforts by long distance coach, Ryan Finn, and assistant long distance coach and head certified athletic therapist, Kevin Montegomery, who graduated from the Lions’ team in 2011.

“The group of rookies Krawczynski Gonzalez, Rasowski, and Fraschetti are really representing us well,” said Rudder, “and veterans Prouzou and Wheeler are pulling the girls along well.”

Competing on the men’s side at the same meet were Chris Basso and Maxime St. Jules. Basso finished 37th overall, while St. Jules crossed the finish line 55th.

The Lions will race at the Marauders Bayfront Open in Hamilton on Friday, October 11 in their final regular season meet. They will spend the following three weeks preparing for OUA Championships which will also take place in Hamilton.