Six-point win for the Lions

Emily GoodwinEditor-in-Chief

Featured image courtesy of York Lions.

The Lions men’s soccer team scored a whopping nine goals in their last game against the Laurier Golden Hawks to defeat them 9-3.

Third-year forward Soji Olatoye scored unassisted 27 seconds into the game to get the Lions onto the scoreboard first. Glorious Okpali of the Golden Hawks followed up with a goal to tie up the score 1-1. The Lions would not have it, as they scored three times in a row thanks to efforts from Lucas Puntillo, Dieu Merci Yuma, and Olatoye. To close out the half, Okpali scored again for the Golden Hawks for a first half score of 4-2.

The second half saw even more goal scoring than the first. Puntillo wasted no time finding the back of the Golden Hawks’ net for his second goal of the game. Four minutes later, Olatoye found similar success off a pass from Yuma. Jon Alec Duenas scored his first goal of the season with the assistance of vetran Cristian Cavallini.

The Golden Hawks finally broke through the Lions defence and Marco Pannozzo was able to score with the assistance of Lucas Cabral. This did not stop the Lions though; rookie defender Milan Drapic was able to score back-to-back goals with an assist from Omar Marzouk for the first and Adam Parda for the second. This put the Lions up to 9-3 for the end of the game.

This win brings the Lions up to 5-0-1 for the regular season and positions them for first in the OUA West, two points ahead of the second-place Guelph Gryphons.

The Lions will be back at Alumni Field on Sunday, October 6 at 8:15 p.m. to take on the Waterloo Warriors. Prior to that they will head to Guelph, Hamilton, and St. Catharines to take on the Gryphons, McMaster Marauders, and Brock Badgers.