Questions for the Lions’ winter semester

lionsrandom

The Lions have had a strong first half of the year, but we’re excited to see where they will be by the end of it.
Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 1.34.03 PM4. How far can Rob Dyba take the men’s volleyball team?
After finishing around the middle of the pack the past few seasons, Lions Head Coach Rob Dyba has been able to lead the team to a 7-3 record after taking over for his father on the bench. York currently sits tied in fourth place with Waterloo, who they hold a 1-3 record against this season. The Lions are right behind McMaster, Ryerson, and Western in the Ontario University Athletics standings.
Still, the Lions only sit three games back of the undefeated Mc- Master Marauders, and with some key wins, they could slowly climb in the ranking. Barring a colossal collapse, the Lions could do some damage come playoff time if they hit their stride down the stretch.
3. Will the men’s hockey team regain their early season form?
The Lions gained national attention after starting the season on a five-game winning streak, but since then, the Lions have a record of 3-6 and now sit seventh in the OUA West division going into the winter semester. The West standings are jam packed this season, with just seven points separating first and ninth place, meaning anything can happen between now and the playoffs. The Lions must capitalize on multiple games against Waterloo, Laurier, and Brock after the break to put themselves on solid footing before playing a tough final four games.
2. Can the men’s basketball team emerge as a contender in the OUA East?
York didn’t lose a game by more than eight points against the West division and finished with a 5-3 record going into divisional play. They lost a key game against the Queen’s Gaels in their first divisional game, but still sit just six points out of second place with 13 games to play. With the top three teams competing in the OUA East division, the Lions will not have an easy time collecting wins, but with strong outings against Windsor and McMaster this season, they have proven they are not a team to be taken lightly in the winter semester.
1. How far will the women’s volleyball team go?
Sitting at 9-1 on the season, York looks to continue another season of dominance as they push for
an OUA gold. It is not a question of whether they will make the playoffs, but how they will perform when they get there.
The Lions are going to duke it out with their rivals, the Ottawa Gee-Gees, for top spot in the OUA East division. With both teams claiming a victory in their two games this year, neither team wants to be on the losing end if they meet again in the playoffs.
Ryan McCabe
Sports and Health Editor