Lions' volleyball gains a powerful new addition

Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 4.25.47 PM

After a remarkable run that fell just short of an Ontario University Athletics championship, the York Lions’ women’s volleyball team once again has an OUA banner in its sights. If the team—who went 17-1 last season and 16-2 the season before—looks like they can’t get any better, the addition of Brittney Hopley may be just what pushes them over the edge.

She has played for the Laurier Golden Hawks and also at California State University, Bakersfield in the National Collegiate Athletics Association before bringing her experience and explosive blocking skills to York. Excalibur spoke to Hopley about her past experiences and what she brings to the court to capture that elusive OUA banner for the York Lions team. 

Excalibur: You played in the NCAA at California State University, Bakersfield. What are biggest differences and similarities between playing in the United States and Canada?

Brittney Hopley:  It was much, much more intense. We had to train every week on the court and in the gym, where we lifted every day for an hour. The season down there is much shorter and starts in late August and spans only until December, so you have to play two or more games each week plus practice. I was flying out of LAX every weekend. That really tired me out physically and mentally. The OUA goes until late spring, so things like practices and games are more spread out, and I can manage my time.

E: You were pretty athletic in high school playing volleyball and doing track and field, but given your size and strength, you also had potential in basketball or rugby. Why volleyball?

BH: I loved to do both sports in high school, but I leaned towards volleyball during university. I prefer volleyball because it’s a team sport.  You play alongside your teammates where you depend on them and they depend on you.  

E: You grew up in Thornhill, Ontario, went to Laurier to play volleyball and study, then spent a season in California and are now back up here in Canada again. Do you see yourself sticking to York playing for the Lions? Or could there be another big jump?

BH: Well, this my fourth year playing volleyball, and I’m 22 and feel really old. I don’t think I really want to move anywhere. I really like this school and the squad so I am going to try to stick it out here.  

E: Do you feel more energized or shall I say more at home playing in Canada, where you’re close to home and where your family and friends can come out to home games and cheer you on?

BH: Yes, I grew up in Thornhill and have lots of support from my family. When I played at CSUB, it was different because I didn’t really have many people down there to cheer me on, and it was too far away for family to visit. We beat Ottawa at home this year, the same squad we lost to at OUA finals last year. So it definitely makes a big difference to play at home and have the support at your house.

E: You suffered a concussion at CSUB and missed part of the season, then bounced back quickly, making a big impact after. Could you tell us a bit more of how it happened and how you were able to play strong and bounce back? Are you scared of future incidences occurring?

BH: I slammed my head on a pole accidentally, and was out for a while from volleyball. I was frustrated as it took a bit of my time away from volleyball and studies. Things like this happen. You have to accept them and try to be safer the next time around. The CSUB volleyball coaches take injuries seriously and want to make sure you are healthy when you get back, so I was eager to get back and play when they cleared me. The worst parts were missing out on team bonding because I couldn’t go on team trips to away games where we really get to know each other.  

E: York has had a good track record in the past couple of years. As they march on towards winning it all, do you feel it will be a lot of pressure on you since you’re new to the team?

BH: I’m older than many of the players and have more experience because I have played in the OUA for Laurier and NCAA, so I feel like I can add to the team. I really like this squad and feel very comfortable out there playing. I do not feel nervous so much as excited, and I think we have a great chance to win it.

E: Any dreams of playing in the Olympics representing Canada someday?

BH: I would love to represent Canada at the Olympic Games one day, but to get to that level of competition, you have to train insanely and devote a lot of time to it. People can go overseas to Europe and play after they graduate to train and get ready for the Olympics. They love Canadians.