Serena Williams sets sights on Rogers Cup

Petra Kvitova kisses the Rogers Cup after celebrating her win in 2012. Photo: Dario Ayala.
Petra Kvitova kisses the Rogers Cup after celebrating her win in 2012 in Montreal. Photo: Dario Ayala.

Serena Williams will look to reclaim her Rogers Cup championship from last year’s winner Petra Kvitova. The event is expected to draw over 100,000 fans to the Rexall Centre at York.

Looking to reclaim her title, Serena Williams will return north of the border this summer. This sets up the juicy storyline of two defending champions returning to battle it out for the top spot once again at the Rogers Cup, hosted by York at the Rexall Centre.

The last time Toronto hosted the Women’s Tournament Association tour, Williams, currently ranked number one and took home the top prize. But last year in Montreal, Williams’ absence left her title up for grabs for all contenders. After a tough week of tennis action, fifth-seeded Petra Kvitova rose to the top of the pack, defeating Li Na in three sets to take Williams’ crown.

“Live tennis is unlike any other sport in the world.”

The Rogers Cup is classified as a Premier 5 event on the WTA tour, meaning that seven of the top 10 ranked women must compete at the event, with the winner receiving $2 million in prize money, as well as 900 points towards her WTA ranking.

Fans can expect WTA tour stars, like Maria Sharapova, last year’s runner-up Li Na, and Caroline Wozniacki, to be in attendance among others, but the players are just one aspect of an event.

The Rogers Cup will be held simultaneously in Montreal at Stade Uniprix, and in Toronto at the Rexall Centre at York. Photo:

The Rogers Cup will be held simultaneously in Montreal at Stade Uniprix, and in Toronto at the Rexall Centre at York. Photo: Ana Rancourt

“We have quite a few things cooking for this year’s tournament that we will unveil in the next couple of months,” says Sarah Grossman, Tennis Canada’s manager of media relations and communication. “One thing I can say that we have done is reconfigure our stadium to allow for a more intimate experience.”

There will only be lower bowl seating this year, which will create an electric atmosphere for every single session. Grossman explains that fans will now be closer to the action than ever before.

The history of the Rogers Cup dates back to 1881, making it the third-oldest tennis tournament in the world.  Every year, the event draws the largest single-week crowd for the WTA tour, with tournament organizers expecting close to 100,000 spectators over the course of the week.

For the past eight years, York has proudly hosted the national event at the Rexall Centre, and continues to share hosting duties with Montreal this year.

williams
Serena Williams looks to reclaim her title at the Rogers Cup this summer.

Last year saw the Association of Tennis Professionals tour roll into Toronto, with Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic taking home the top prize. This time, the women will take to the Rexall Centre courts August 3 – 11 in Toronto, while the men compete in Montreal.

While tennis may not be high on everyone’s list of sports priorities, Grossman insists live WTA tennis is a spectacle you shouldn’t pass up. “Live tennis is unlike any other sport in the world. When you see these women play in person you realize the power, strength, and athleticism they have, and it’s just remarkable.”

For anyone in the York community that is interested in attending the Rogers Cup, all students, staff, faculty and alumni can save 25 per cent on tickets for the August 5 – 9 session. Contact Tennis Canada for more details.

“Did you know?

The Rogers Cup boasts one of the most impressive past winner lists on both the WTA and ATP tour. The long list of stars includes Andy Murray, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Caroline Wozniacki, Ana Ivanovic, Andy Roddick and Chris Evert.” 

Ryan McCabe
Sports and Health Editor