York honours heroine Sheila Forshaw

Sheila Forshaw, a proud York graduate, accepts her Bryden Award. - Elizabeth Georidioni

For all her achievements, Forshaw gets recognized

Daniel Rependa

York alumni from all walks of life filled the candlelit, classically decorated Design Exchange Hall in downtown Toronto on November 17 for the Annual York University Bryden Awards. Women were elegantly attired in cocktail dresses and the men sported their best shirts and ties. In the background, the house band, consisting of an upright bass and trombone, played jazz music, setting the mood for the evening.

Amidst the clinking of wine glasses and quaint discussions about the succulent cooked lamb, there were six truly remarkable York alumni gathered together to receive recognition for having attained success in their respective careers.

The annual Bryden Awards recognize those York alumni who have made outstanding contributions to York and the world at large. One recipient was Sheila Forshaw, now the executive officer of York’s School of Kinesiology and Health Science. She accepted the award as York’s “Local Hero”.

Forshaw is considered to be one of the best Canadian field hockey players of all time. She led the National Women’s Field Hockey team to second place in the 1983 World Cup, is a two-time Canadian Olympian in Field Hockey, and was inducted into the Mississauga Sports Hall of Fame in 1995. Along with her impressive athletic record, Forshaw was a 1983 graduate of York with a Bachelor of Science degree. She is also a highly decorated York athlete, an active participant in York’s many committees, and led her University Field Hockey Team to two Ontario titles.

During her time at York, Forshaw was not only a formidable athlete but also an excellent leader.

“I remember vividly the conversations I had with my father as I spoke to him about my recruitment trips,” she said in her acceptance speech. “I had learned that the academic programs at both institutions [York and University of Toronto] were well respected and both institutions would provide me with the opportunity to continue with my passion for sport. He listened to me for a while and said, ‘Sheila your choices are simple. You can go to an established institution that already has a successful sports program (University of Toronto) or you can choose a young institution (York University) and be a part of building that program.’ It didn’t take me long to make a decision. I chose York, and it was the best decision of my life.”

However, after her successful career as an athlete and student, Forshaw felt that she hadn’t yet finished her contribution to York. In 1995 she returned to York to lead the Inter-University Athletics program and is still a leader and innovator for the York sports program today. Despite her Olympic career and the athletic prowess that would have allowed her to go anywhere she wished, Forshaw says “York really provided me the opportunity to grow up, to become more confident in myself, to be a better student; because of what athletics had provided me. For me, it was trying to give back to the institution.”

Although her sports career is in the past, she still lives like an athlete and strives to help others live and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

“I really believe in a healthy lifestyle and making sure that, from a nutritional perspective and a sports perspective, that you keep active,” says Forshaw. “That is what the Faculty of Health is all about, and the School of Kinesiology and Sport and Recreation. And whether you’re an outstanding athlete or recreationalist, it’s really important for that healthy lifestyle.”

When looking back on her career and what it took to be successful, Forshaw had this bit of advice for students wishing to achieve success.

“Believe in yourself,” she says. “Pick a dream. Go after it. Really work hard and you’ll be successful.”