Letters to the editor – November 9, 2011

Honouring veterans
Re: York University
Excalibur » Nov 2, 2011

What really bothers me at York this year is that it has a very strange policy when it comes to not allowing the sale of poppies.

The many young men and women gave their lives and made sacrifices, and many who are still scarred for life in many ways, gave you the right to attend school. But we are not allowed to honour them by selling poppies on campus.

To me, this is a real shame. A lot of them had their rights taken away from them to go to school and many were younger than you. It is time for a change, starting this year!

Lewis Chaitov

CUPE 3903 prepares for negotiations
Re: “CUPE 3903 prepares for possible strike”
News » Nov 2, 2011

In reference to your recent article on CUPE 3903, we’d like to suggest that a better headline would have been “CUPE 3903 prepares for negotiations.”  Indeed, since mid-March we have been working hard to prepare for this round of negotiations and this includes rebuilding the union’s strike and defence fund. This is a normal part of the collective bargaining process.

In addition to the levy, we have also been developing bargaining proposals to address problems faced by our members, many of which impact the quality of education students receive at York. As many probably know, this institution relies heavily on the work of contract faculty and graduate students. Ensuring fair and equitable teaching conditions will create a better learning environment for everyone.

To use a bad sports analogy, we are only in the first quarter of the game here and there’s plenty of time on the clock. Suggesting anything more would be to call the game before it has really begun.

– Executive Committee of CUPE 3903