The power of the printed word

Romina Julian
Staff Writer 

Books are my drug. They are the only thing I splurge on every week and the only thing I dream about having in vast amounts.

But like everyone else, I’m also a tech nerd. I cannot live without my cell phone, iPod, and laptop, especially since I’m addicted to Angry Birds. However, I am not a fan of reading books through an eReader or online.

Yes, I get my news online. Yes, I’m well-versed in technology. But no matter what, I will always pick a book over an eReader.

When I tested out a Kobo eReader at Chapters, it felt really strange to me to read a novel from a tablet rather than from paper format. I am accustomed to turning tha pages of a thick, hardbound novel instead of pushing a button on a slim, delicate tablet. The experience made me realize that with a book, you can damage it, rip it, spill water all over it, and it is still legible. An eReader requires proper care. One drop to the floor and it’s damaged forever.

But it’s not only the durability factor that makes books so special, but the connection between the reader and the book. The reader gets drawn into the story and enters a new world within. The reader cannot stop as the story goes on and every page builds suspense and intrigue. An eBook reader, on the other hand, gives a cold, lifeless connection. Sure, it functions the same as a book, but the connection isn’t there.

And it’s not only the connection we feel to the content that gets lost, but the connection we feel to a book’s cover. I’ve always loved the Harry Potter books not only because of the stories, but because I love the cover artwork. The design of a book cover and how it is packaged provides a brief glimpse of what to expect in a novel and the hard work and dedication of the people involved in the process. Even the Twilight books have great covers-—but I won’t discuss my feelings about the series here.

Furthermore, I can share a book with anyone. Many eBooks have licenses that prevent sharing. Would you lend your eBook reader to a friend for a week? You can allow your friends to add mark-ups or dog ears to the pages, but with an eBook, you can never leave anything except your fingerprints if you’d like to keep your friendship.

With the recent trends in eBooks and products such as the Amazon Kindle and the Kobo eReaders selling fast, bookstores worldwide are having difficulty competing with the new technology. Sales in eBooks have increased 88.8 per cent between 2008 and 2010. In February 2011, US bookstore chain Borders filed for bankruptcy and shut down hundreds of stores nationwide. A photo circulating around the web features an empty wall at a Borders store with all of their bookshelves dismantled. Only a Thomas Jefferson quotation remains: “I cannot live without books.”

The topic of eBooks versus paper books is still under debate. Some may prefer carrying books around, and some would rather bring a tablet carrying thousands of books instead. Technology may be changing to make our lives better, but the printed word will make a lasting impression for eternity.