Everyone’s a rocket scientist

Shahroze Rauf | News Editor

Featured image courtesy of Pixabay

Today’s standard of what a student has to accomplish in their current academic life and career is cosmic compared to those of the past. Rocket science would be fun compared to the amount of information most undergraduates need to know to earn a grade over a decent 80 per cent. (Disclaimer: I am in no way undermining rocket scientists, this metaphor is being used purely for literary emphasis).

I can easily be brushed off as an ungrateful millennial. Some say that today’s age is perhaps the best to live in, especially for marginalized communities. However, why compare dirt to crap to make it seem better? In either case, both are abysmal in their own way.

And with technology comes huge responsibility. Cancel culture and the scrutinizing eyes of social media have become everso meticulous on the lives of any user. This is not to say bad people shouldn’t be held accountable, but can’t people be allowed the chance to change?

Today, everyone has to know almost every expertise when going into their field. You need money, so you need a good job. To get a good job, you need a good education, but also you need valuable experience. To get valuable experience you need a good job. To get an education you need money. Who the hell made this system and why hasn’t anyone tried to break it?

For example, I am studying to be a journalist. I am doing a university undergraduate degree and a college diploma at the same time. At college, I learn to make news — digitally, on TV, on the radio, everything. At university, I’m studying writing, and how to speak French.

The one phrase I have heard constantly is: “You have to know how to do it all.” Universities and colleges are like factories: pumping out multi-capable graduates who in the end can’t find a job because a) they studied too hard to pass and couldn’t find time to get experience, or b) they couldn’t afford to waste any more hours at an unpaid internship, while in school, which costs money.

I think I speak for many students when I say our time and effort needs to be valued. We have lives like everyone else, and we neglect them by falling into this trap of money-needs-school-needs-education-needs-money. We become discouraged, and so when we fall, it takes us a while to get back up.

So go to therapy. Oh wait, that costs money. Never mind.

Somehow, you’ll make it out. Let’s hope the generation we raise won’t be brushed off the way we were.