Getting Involved at York was the Best Decision I Ever Made

Emily GoodwinEditor-in-Chief

Featured Image: Both Student Centres and all of York’s colleges offer meeting and office spaces for student clubs. | Chrysa Dancey/Excalibur Publications

University courses can quickly become overwhelming, to say the least. It’s so easy to get caught up in endless readings, assignments, and studying for tests and exams that we forget there can be so much more to life at university.

With plenty of academic student groups, student governments, peer mentoring services, and part-time jobs, there is no shortage of activities to fill a break between classes.

In my first year, I was terrified to join student clubs and audition for the Wind Symphony—something that would have allowed me to continue pursuing my passion for music and the bass clarinet. Then, in my second year, I was terrified to try out for the track & field team and to apply for an on-campus job. Despite all that terror and anxiety, I found the courage to join clubs, audition for Wind Symphony, try out for the team, and apply for a job. Now, in my sixth year at York (five as an undergrad and one as a grad student), I can say without a doubt that getting involved was the best decision I ever made.

From student clubs to peer mentoring to competing as a varsity athlete to working in both athletics and recreation, every experience and opportunity I’ve had while at York has shaped me in some way. It wasn’t always sunshine, unicorns and happiness, but there were always valuable take-aways. The leadership opportunities allowed me to learn how to be a better leader. Some allowed me to work on my public speaking skills—which, coming into university, were non-existent—and slowly become more comfortable speaking in front of groups. Others allowed me to learn how to better collaborate and resolve conflict with individuals with whom I do not see eye-to-eye with. Through some experiences I met people who have become some of my closest friends, people I never would’ve met had I not chosen to join a group or apply for a job. Every single opportunity allowed me to develop my writing skills and apply what I was learning in the classroom to a real-world context.

Getting involved in the York community in any way helps you find yourself and discover what you’re really passionate about. Maybe you’ll find that you really enjoy teaching others about a certain subject. Maybe you have a social justice and advocacy bone in your body you didn’t know you had. Maybe your desire to lead a more active life will lead you to working in recreation services. There is no telling where extra-curricular activities may take you. I certainly never thought volunteering with the ‘Cupcakes for Change’ club and lifeguarding at the Tait McKenzie Centre would lead me to an editor position at Excalibur.

So, even if you think you don’t have the time for anything but class, and even if you’re nervous or anxious to join a group where you know absolutely no one, try to get involved anyways. By putting yourself out there and trying new things, you’ll learn what you love, hate, and simply tolerate. From there you can figure out what pathway you want to extend beyond your time at York.