Women working in male-dominated industries

Mahdis Habibinia | Executive Editor (Online)

Featured Image: Excalibur‘s 2018-2019 female editorial board members. | Courtesy of Dylan Stoll

If there’s one thing I have learned from working in competitive, male-dominated industries, especially in a position of leadership, it’s that women need to make themselves heard and seen everyday in order to gain respect. This usually requires more perseverance and dedication from the average female in comparison to the average male who works in the same industry, and has the same credentials.

The sad truth is when men in male-dominated industries refuse to give hard-working women the acknowledgment they deserve, this leaves most women feeling they need to continue proving themselves, even after doing so. It leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of most females, and further extends the already-gaping gender gap, because some career fields require women to earn a level of respect that some men are granted merely by showing up on time.

Women working in male-dominated industries face a variety of challenges, especially when they are working their way to the top: pervasive stereotypes such as that of the office housekeeper, fewer mentoring opportunities, increased pressure to prove she belongs despite her excellent work, and sexual harassment, to name a few.

Subtle differences, even in language, can mean the difference between a promotion or remaining beneath the glass ceiling. Women’s speech patterns and overall workplace tendencies differ from men’s; men are perceived as more assertive and so therefore, both heard and seen. For example, women often use the pronoun ‘we’ in reference to their work, whereas men often use ‘I,’ even if they did not complete the work alone.

Businesses tend to promote people who want to be promoted, show drive, and demonstrate that desire verbally and in their work. Avivah Wittenberg-Cox, author of How Women Mean Business and chief executive officer of 20-first, observed that many industries unconsciously promote women who demonstrate ‘masculine’ workplace tendencies or linguistic patterns. This is clearly an issue for the new generation of women unwilling to emulate masculine approaches in order to prove their money’s worth.

The reality is that for a female entering a workforce where she is surrounded by men, she needs to be prepared. If she wants to play in the big leagues, a soft-spoken and docile mindset will not carry her to the top. These are not traits proven to be indicators of success. Respect has to be earned, yes, but a woman must claw for it. Leadership status must be deserved, yes, but a woman must fight tooth and nail for it.

Be professional but fight to break down the barriers, including that thick, glass ceiling. When you sign up to play with the big boys, you need to develop thick skin. The reality is, when you make it to the top, there will likely be people who have issues with taking orders from a woman.

Through your work and confidence, demonstrate that you deserve to be there just as much as the next guy. Don’t fear backlash, embrace it, because if you are working towards something big, chances are there will be even bigger opposition. And don’t cower from that beta, office jackass who emulates his misogynistic stereotype and constantly interrupts you in meetings where you know what you’re talking about; assert your dominance where appropriate.

Remember that wolf packs run with an alpha female, too.

By Mahdis Habibinia

Mahdis is a York University graduate with an Honours BA in Professional Writing, a Certificate in Spanish Language Proficiency, and an expected Master of Journalism '23. She is also fluent in Farsi. She began her journey with Excalibur as a contributor in 2017 then worked as executive editor from 2018-2020. For the 2020-2021 year, Mahdis served as editor-in-chief. She is curious about the world, BIPOC stories, and passionate about writing as a platform for advocacy and representation. She hopes to one day add to the diversity of Canadian media both in the content it produces and as a staff member. When Mahdis is not writing or editing or correcting people on the spelling of her name, she is likely marathon-viewing thrillers and crime shows that oddly bear no impact on her sleep.