How can you not love the Holidays?

Uzodinma UkagwuSports Editor

Featured image courtesy of Jasmine Wiradharma

It’s that holly jolly time of the year again; the season of snowfall, Christmas music, and shopping for presents. The semester is wrapping up, and most of us are looking forward to kicking back and relaxing with family and friends, as we celebrate the end of the year.

There is, however, a growing segment of people who despise the holiday season. Some hate the fact that they are inundated with Christmas music on every radio station they tune in to. Some complain about the over-commercialization of the holidays, with sales in every store, and the expectations of gifts from family and friends. Some just hate the holidays because it brings into focus their lack of a relationship(s), as everyone else seems to be spending time with their loved ones while they they are left feeling alone. For others, it is even more personal, because they have lost someone close during this time, and the season revives tragic memories.

Even if you are among the people who dislike the holiday season, there are reasons why you shouldn’t hate on the holidays, and why you shouldn’t let whatever it is prevent you from developing a holiday spirit.

At the very least, no one can hate the leisure time that the holiday season provides. Even if you don’t look forward to spending time with or without your family, or you don’t have any friends to celebrate the holidays with, you can’t help but enjoy the break from school and work. Your happiness doesn’t depend on others. Read a book, go see a movie, binge-watch your favorite TV shows; you can still have fun by yourself.

If you don’t hate people all together, and you are feeling adventurous this holiday season, use the abundant free time to meet new people and make new friends; the holidays provide plenty of opportunities to do so.

If you dislike the over-commercialization of the holidays, don’t just sit at home and grumble in your sour mood. Fight the consumerism of Christmas by doing something to give back to your community. Volunteer at your neighbourhood charities; find a way to help someone in need and put a smile on someone’s face this Christmas; encourage your friends to do the same too; in this way, you can give your holidays a positive and vigorous purpose, while maintaining your holiday spirit.

If you’ve lost someone close to you during a Christmas that has passed, use the time to remember the good days you shared. It’s hard not to miss them and feel sad, but remember that they loved you, and wished only for your happiness. Try to remain positive this holiday season as you celebrate their lives.

The holidays are a time of joy, fun and relaxation, and we can all enjoy Christmas in various ways by doing the things that make us happy. Don’t be the spoil-sport scrooge saying Bah Humbug, and bringing down everyone’s holiday cheer this season. Keep the spirit of Christmas alive, or Santa’s sleigh may not even make it off the ground!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!