The biased climate of YorkU

Victoria SilmanAssistant News Editor

Featured image courtesy of Jasmine Wiradharma

Have you ever walked into a classroom at York, only to leave feeling that all you learned was the Communist Manifesto? I bet it wasn’t even a political science course—it usually isn’t.

Let’s face it: York has a reputation for being left-ist—many institutions do. What sets York apart from other schools, though, is its unwillingness to humour the other side. “Any opinion that isn’t ours is wrong!” Isn’t that right?

Of course I don’t believe that, or else I wouldn’t be writing this opinion piece. I’ve left some people feeling angered in my day, whether it be through debate in a political science class, or an editorial expressing an opinion some people disagreed with.

That is all fine. I’m entitled to my opinion, as is everyone else. What we are not entitled to, though, is stifling each other’s ideals. I don’t have a problem with others having an opinion; what I have a problem with is when others won’t let me voice mine.

The most damaging part of York’s climate is that everybody cares when someone disagrees with them, but nobody cares to listen as to why.

I’ve seen it time and time again. Slews of curse words and “bigot” thrown around.

There are groups at this institution notorious for putting down other opinions, all the while forcing you to deep-throat theirs—without consent—with posters and magazines littering the campus.

Students are afraid to speak up for what they believe because of the backlash they might receive. There is a culture of ideological shame poisoning the campus, making it difficult for students to respectfully challenge each other in their opinions.

Even at the Free Speech Policy consultation on November 9, student groups were heard putting down ideas they oppose. Let me repeat myself: at a Free Speech Policy consultation.

The best part of this is that students get their panties in a bunch about a topic they don’t completely understand. Do your research, be prepared to give reasoning for your opinion, and accept that there are opposing sides with just as legitimate reasons.

The fact of the matter is, York: Not everyone is supposed to agree with you, and that’s okay.