Seriously don't panic frosh

You’ve arrived at York and so we tip our metaphorical hats to you. By now you are more than likely lost and afraid, and you may or may not have dropped close to $400 on textbooks for one class. It sucks, we know.

But for now welcome to our frosh issue where we’ve done our very best to supply you with tips and tricks that will help make your transition into York life as easy as possible.

It’s not easy being a student; you are probably in some sort of debt and will most likely walk into the wrong lecture hall several times. As you step into the wrong crowded lecture hall, I will chuckle to myself and smile as your gaze of confusion glistens, and close to 300 students stop taking notes just to look at you.

I will be honest with you, university isn’t easy. Unless you’re a genius, you will need to put legitimate effort into your studies. That means going to class, taking notes, and actually speaking up in your tutorials. Those participation marks can really kill your GPA. Take a look at your syllabus, you might lose close to 10 per cent of your mark if you pull off the silent treatment gig. Tutorials can be legitimately scary, and it might make you pee a little, but every other new student is in the same position as you.

You can do it, we have confidence in you. If you are actually lost and confused, there are many places
to turn to for advice. I’d suggest getting involved with one of the many student associations and clubs across campus. There you will meet students who have a
bit more experience than you, and can often answer those stupid questions you are dreading to ask. There are endless intramural programs to join, and your respective college has it’s own student government who would love for you to get involved.

Excalibur is the same, we want you to stroll in and get involved with the paper. As an institution, we are constantly in need of volunteers. No experience required, just a good attitude and a smile here
or there helps quite a bit.

Not to mention the school itself has many programs and counselling services to help you enjoy some
of the best years of your life.

Whatever your interests are, from Nintendo to self-defense, Pokemon to Harry Potter, there really is something for everyone here at York. It’s a great way to make some new friends and feel all the more comfortable during your time here. No, you won’t need to study everyday, and yes, you will have free time. So make the most of it, deal? Deal.

Have some fun this frosh and be yourself. Your parents aren’t watching and it’s time to not only get your degree, but also go through some personal growth and become the person you want to be.

Please, don’t be afraid.

Michael Burton, Editor-In-Chief
Illustration by Erika Madsen.