Two Toronto Shootings in Less Than a Week

(Courtesy of Global News)

In less than a week, Toronto has faced two major shootings.

In a breaking news report by the Toronto Sun on Monday, July 10, two people suffered serious injuries following a drive-by shooting at approximately 6 a.m. at 7 Charles Street West.

According to the police, the injured male and female victims were transported to the hospital. An unknown number of suspects fled the location in a black SUV. This incident occurred one block south of Toronto’s bustling Yonge and Bloor intersection.

It is suspected that the shooting may have resulted from stunt driving related to road rage. Toronto Police Duty Inspector Michelle Olszevski said the injured man and woman are expected to survive.

The second shooting occurred on Friday, July 7. A woman in her 40s died from a shooting in the Leslieville area at Queen Street and Carlaw Avenue. According to CBC News, the shooting happened before 12:30 p.m. The victim, Karolina Huebner-Makurat, was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries but later succumbed to them. 

Huebner-Makurat was a mother of two daughters aged seven and four. Her husband, Adrian Makurat, made a brief Facebook post about the incident: “Tragic day. Life is short. Hug your [loved] ones every moment you get the chance. Asking for privacy at this time.”

As of Saturday, July 8, the Toronto Police Service says the incident began as a physical altercation between three males. Eventually, two of the males brandished handguns and fired them. A Globe and Mail article reports that Huebner-Makurat was walking to get lunch when she was shot by a stray bullet.

On Sunday, July 9, Toronto Police described the remaining two suspects and provided their photos in a media release. They are asking citizens to help identify the suspects but warn they are “armed and dangerous.” 

The police describe one of them as a male aged 18–25, with an average height and slim build, with long hair in a ponytail. He had on a black baseball hat, a black North Face hoodie, dark-coloured jeans, and white shoes.

Toronto Police authorities also provided details on the other suspect, who is a tall male, 18–25 years old with a thin build. He was wearing a grey hoodie, with dark pants and dark shoes.

On July 13, the Toronto Police Service announced that the third suspect, Damian Hudson, was identified, arrested, and charged with second-degree murder. At the time of the shooting, CBC News reports that 32-year-old Hudson “was on two release orders and under three firearm prohibitions.” A bail hearing is scheduled on July 25.

Paula Fletcher, City Councillor for Toronto-Danforth, whose riding represents the Leslieville area, released an announcement to the ward’s residents. “This is an unspeakable tragedy for her family and for our community. Our hearts are broken,” the announcement said. 

In response to the tragedy, a group of organizers on behalf of the friends and family of Karolina Huebner-Makurat, have started a GoFundMe page. The organizers had this to say: 

“[Karolina] was more than just a mother; she was a constant source of love, strength, and support for her girls. She worked tirelessly to provide them with a nurturing and stable environment, striving to give them the best opportunities in life.” 

The GoFundMe is raising money for Karolina Huebner-Makurat’s family by providing social and emotional support, educational opportunities for her children, and aiding in “a cause near and dear” to the family.

The page has received an outpour of support, with over 3,000 donors and $250,000 raised as of July 13. In addition, flowers and notes have been placed on the pavement where Huebner-Makurat was shot. Anyone with information related to these incidents, is asked to call police at 416-808-5500, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477 (TIPS) or www.222tips.com.

By David Clarke

David is in his fourth year, studying English at York University. He has a keen interest in filmmaking, writing, literature, video-editing, and ideas. When he isn’t working on his next project or studying, you can catch him watching film-noirs on Turner Classic Movies.