Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away at 96

Courtesy of Unsplash

Following a series of reports pertaining to her ailing health, Queen Elizabeth II passed away at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on September 8th at the age of 96. In light of her passing, the Queen’s death has resulted in a wide spectrum. In 1952, she succeeded her father, King George VI, at the age of 25.

While many debates centre around the significance of the Monarch, the Queen’s calmness and stability is often attributed to maintaining peace throughout the post-World War II period. Her Majesty’s reign also aided in guiding numerous nations to becoming Commonwealth countries, was also notable for her philanthropic work, having been a patron of over 500 organizations.

Queen Elizabeth II’s death is also a stark reminder of the continuous loss of firsthand accounts from veterans of the Second World War. While the Queen led a largely private life, “she served with grace and integrity for 70 years. It’s a sad time for all of us to reflect on the person this world has lost,” writes Michael O’Bright, a Media Arts student at York.

O’Bright also commends the Queen for her tact and skill while dealing with wider and more serious global issues, stating that hers was an example “everyone can learn from.”

With her passing, the Queen’s son, King Charles III has ascended to the throne at the age of 73, and was proclaimed as Canada’s Head of State at Rideau Hall on Sept. 10. Queen Elizabeth II is also survived by her children Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Edward along with their respective children and grandchildren. 
The Queen’s body is currently lying in state for the next three days at Westminster Hall where citizens can pay their respects. Her funeral will be held at Westminster Abbey on Sept. 19th at 11 a.m. local time, a historic church where many past monarchs have been crowned, as well as, the place where the Queen married the late Prince Philip in 1947.  Her funeral is expected to be one of the largest gatherings of political forces held in the UK for generations, with an estimated 500 heads of state, foreign dignitaries, and royal families expected to attend, as reported by the BBC.

By Nick Mokrzewski

Nick is in his third year of Film Production at York University. Raised in an artistic family, he’s never had much problem expressing himself whether it be through music, writing, or comedic rants. He’s a big sucker for watching and critiquing films, going to concerts, professional wrestling, and consuming coffee or chocolate. Nick intends to have many artistic pursuits in either writing, filmmaking, or anything that involves music — whatever suits his fancy on the given day. He’ll often tell you “life is short, seize the moment ‘cause tomorrow you might be dead!”