Soothe sickness with these at-home healers

(Photo by Content Pixie on Unsplash)

Micheal Bublé once said, “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas” — and he was right. The fall leaves crunch beneath our heels and the all-too-familiar sound of sniffles have begun to fill the air. There’s no need to fear; Excalibur has got you covered with at-home remedies that won’t break your bank. 

The tried and true method to secure a speedy recovery from illness is, you guessed it, chicken noodle soup. Did you know that chicken soup contains nutrients that support your immune system? It is also extremely comforting and gives you plenty of hydration. 

According to a study from researchers at the Univeristy of Nebraska, a combination of ingredients in chicken soup work together to create an anti-inflammatory effect. While a can of soup usually does the trick, it is recommended that you make your own. If you do opt for a canned soup, try one with less sodium. If you’re feeling up to it, try out this recipe for a cold-fighting chicken noodle soup.

COLD-FIGHTING CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (3 medium, dice small)
  • 1 1/2 cups diced celery (3 stalks, dice small)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
  • 2 tbsp peeled and minced ginger
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemongrass paste (found in the produce by the herbs)
  • 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded evenly to 1/2-inch thickness with flat side of a meat mallet
  • 2/3 cup dry acini de pepe or orzo pasta
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

*Chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth and tofu or another source of protein can be used instead of chicken for a vegetarian alternative.

Preparation:

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. 
  2.  Add carrots, celery and onions, and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add ginger, garlic and lemon grass paste, and sauté 1 minute longer. 
  3. Pour in chicken broth, turmeric, and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  4. Add chicken breasts, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover pot and allow to simmer until chicken has cooked through, for about 10-15 minutes (it should reach 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer). 
  5. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes (note that chicken will be very yellow, it’s just the turmeric). 
  6.  Add pasta to soup, cover, and allow to boil for 10 minutes or as directed on package, stirring occasionally. 
  7. Dice chicken into small pieces. Then return chicken to the soup. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm and enjoy!

Ginger and honey added to tea with a few slices of lemon will soothe your sore throat, ease that stubborn cough, and reduce inflammation. Ginger has antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It can reduce muscle pain and manage nausea. Try out the recipe below for a soothing honey ginger tea. 

Garlic is also a potent and potentially antiviral herb native to Central and South Asia. Garlic ingestion and intravenous preparations of its extracts are used to treat viral infections or cryptococcal meningitis patients in China. In Asia and Europe, garlic is used to treat the common cold, fever, coughs, asthma, and even wounds. It has many properties and can be ingested raw, cooked, crushed, or turned into an oil and applied topically to treat infection. Further research is being done to discover its antiviral therapeutic effects.. 

HONEY GINGER TEA – 1 Serving

Ingredients:

• 1 cup water
  • 1 inch knob of fresh ginger
  • Raw honey, to taste (optional)
  • Cayenne pepper (optional)

Preparation:

1. Simply scrape the whole ginger root with the end of your spoon to get the peel off. 
  2. Chop the ginger into four ¼ inch coins. 
  3. Add four coins of fresh ginger into a pot with 1 cup water and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
  4. Take the pot off the stove. Add honey and a squeeze of lemon to taste, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. 
  5. You can toss the ginger coins before serving, or leave them in the cup for extra flavour. Breathe deeply and enjoy!

Enjoy some of these recipes to keep you warm this winter season! Remember to get plenty of rest, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and stay hydrated. Getting sick isn’t fun, especially during exam season, so take care of yourself and unwind with a calming cup of honey ginger tea. You can be your own healer from the comfort of your home.

By Olivia Borges

Sports Editor

sports@excal.on.ca