Dental care in times of COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic leaves dental chairs empty, but dentists are now encouraging patients to attend their dental appointments with new safety protocols in place. (Courtesy of Pixabay)

The worldwide outbreak of COVID-19 has brought about major challenges for the dental industry. 

Since the virus spreads most commonly through respiratory droplet transmission, face-to-face interactions between healthcare professionals and patients involve a risk. With dental treatments invariably requiring close contact for diagnostic and curative procedures, rigorous risk assessment is a necessity in dental offices. 

The situation led to the abrupt closure of dental clinics everywhere in March. After extensive planning, dental professionals gradually started returning to practice for emergency dental procedures and surgeries over the summer. 

The World Health Organization (WHO) released an interim guidance report in early August, recommending the delay of oral health check-ups, dental cleanings, preventive care, and aesthetic dental treatments. 

The Canadian Dental Association (CDA) followed up with a statement, clarifying that WHO’s guidance is “not relevant for the current status in Canada since there is not wide-spread community transmission of COVID-19 in our country.” The CDA adds that Canadians need to be aware that routine dental care is accessible at this stage of the pandemic, and it should not be delayed. 

Dentistry is an essential aspect of healthcare, and many dental concerns are preventive in nature. Regular dental appointments are imperative for good oral health. 

Putting off routine dental care can lead to more costly and complicated procedures later on. Poor oral health can also have a significant effect on one’s overall health. 

Former health studies student at York and dentistry school hopeful, Gurjit Gill, was able to comment on how putting off these visits may affect dentist offices financially. 

“The key difference is that unlike many other businesses, the closing of dental offices does not result in a large loss of revenue, but a deferral of revenue; tooth decay or a cavity is not going to go away, so the service will be provided at a later date,” said Gill. 

“The key difference is that unlike many other businesses, the closing of dental offices does not result in a large loss of revenue, but a deferral of revenue; tooth decay or a cavity is not going to go away, so the service will be provided at a later date.”

Tiana Marconi, a second-year kinesiology student, was unsure of what to expect going in for her dental appointment at first, but figured that dental offices had a high standard of cleanliness even before the pandemic. 

“The waiting room is closed, and you are only allowed in at your time. Overall, I was only around my dentist and no extra people,” says Marconi. 

The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) has issued a guidance list for dentists across the province consisting of 66 items, some of which include: pre-appointment screening or triage, limited points of entry into the dental office, sealing off treatment rooms, and utilizing high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtration units. 

“I want to make my patients safe; I want to make my staff safe. And whatever it takes to make them feel comfortable is what we’re going to do,” said Toronto-based dentist Dr. Robert Cappell in a CTV News article

It is undeniable that the current pandemic is drastically changing our world in all aspects, and its effects are likely to last well into the future.

Back in April, Dr. Aaron Burry, public health specialist and director of professional affairs at CDA, stated: “Innovation will come out of this. New ways to address infection control and better ways of doing things.”

Teledentistry has the potential to satisfy needs for social distancing where appropriate, and it can have a wide range of applications. Information technology can be useful for remote triaging, making a diagnosis, and developing a treatment plan. 

There is no better time to increase efforts to further incorporate teledentistry into routine dental practice and improve access to dental care for all. 

Gill acknowledges that although dentistry may go through big changes following the pandemic, there is still reason to be hopeful for the future. 

“It is not concerning what the future holds, but rather exciting to see what new innovations and advancements can be made to provide the best quality of care to patients in the most effective and safe manner possible.”

By Aida Dreca