Such dog. So health. Much happy. Wow.

Science says their cuteness can make you a happier, healthier person.

When students live on campus, they often not only leave friends and family behind, but their furry friends as well.
Many students probably wish they could bring their pets with them. And now we have all the more reason to wish we could, as science has proved that pets offer much more than unconditional love—they can also be instrumental
in keeping us healthy.

As the semester becomes increasingly stressful and hectic, animal companions can keep people grounded.

When times get tough, we can call upon our pets for much-needed support. Spending time in contact with animals has been shown to increase dopamine and serotonin, chemicals instrumental in raising our emotions and promoting positive behaviour, in humans.

Being around pets also lowers cortisol, responsible for the stress receptors in our brains. According to research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2011, pet owners have a higher self-esteem, are more physically fit, more outgoing, and have healthier relationships than those without pets.

This explains why York often calls upon therapy animals during exam time. Laura Scott of National Service Dogs explains, “Our Paws Fur Therapy program for universities and colleges has been met with tremendous enthusiasm since we began the program in 2012.”

“Our advanced training dogs visit the student lounge at universities/colleges for two hour sessions every midterm and exam week. The dogs provide the students with an opportunity to relax and re-focus, if even for a few short moments, in the midst of a demanding week.”
But animals pull at our heartstrings in more ways then just one. According to a May 2013 scientific statement from the American Heart Association, pet owners are at a decreased chance of experiencing a heart attack over the course of their lives. This happens because of the decreased blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels that spending time with a pet usually provides. The need for regular exercise for pets bleeds over to human owners, who find their exercise efforts encouraged.
Dog ownership, in particular, may make cardiovascular risk lower because dogs require their owners to walk them. According to AHA, owning pets could be associated with lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. A 2006 study conducted by the Wellness Institute at Northwest memorial Hospital showed that of 2,000 adult participants, those who had an animal presence in their lives were often less obese than their petless counterparts.
It is clear that any time spent with animals is a good time. So here’s to those animals we share our lives with, not only for their loyalty, but for making us healthier in the time we spend together.
Devon MacPherson