Easy swaps for a healthier diet

Arranged Vegetables Creating a Face

Getting in shape is mostly about trying to eat healthy, but that is much harder than it sounds especially when you are too busy studying and working to cook, and living on a student budget. The food options on campus are mediocre at best, but believe it or not, there are ways to reduce the damage we inflict on our bodies while still enjoying plenty of delicious foods and drinks.
It is nearly impossible to switch your lifestyle at the drop of a hat, so when you are committing to a lifestyle change—which is how you should think about your diet—break up these changes into smaller more manageable tasks.
Over time, you will gradually achieve the larger task at hand. The small decisions you make when you eat out will pay dividends in the long run.

According to some of York’s athletes, who can be considered some of the health buffs on campus, there are some modifications people can make when eating out.

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 5.03.04 PM
Mark-Anthony Kaye, a member of the Lions soccer team, recognizes the crucial role his diet plays in staying in shape for the season.
“Considering I’m practicing about four times a week, a chicken sandwich is a perfect way for me to get my protein and carbs because my eating choices do affect my performance on the field,” he says.
For Ally Masi, a member of the York Lions dance team, sweet potato fries are the go-to bar snack of choice. They are a healthier choice than regular cut fries because
they are gluten-free and have a high intake of potassium.
Adding any vegetables or fruit also makes for great alternatives. Contrary to what many people might gripe about when trying to make this lifestyle choice, Kaye and Masi show that eating healthy can still be wonderfully appetizing.
EatRight Ontario offers a bunch of tips for students eating on campus, which attempt to implement healthier food options without changing the meal significantly.

Getting a grilled chicken sandwich with salad on the side inside of fries is advisable. You can essentially do the same thing by changing your pizza toppings as well, from extra cheese and pepperoni
to mushrooms, chicken, and peppers. Also, try a whole grain crust instead.

There is a trend here. Choose lean meats like turkey, chicken, and roast beef, and opt out of deep-fried foods when you can. Salads and fruits with light dressing
are the way to go. But be careful not to drench your salad in Caesar dressing because that defeats the purpose. You want to keep the excess sugar that you don’t need out of your diet, which also goes for pop and coffee.
These changes might seem drastic at first, but when you see the difference it makes on your health and your figure, it will be even

Felicia Augurusa