Eight reasons why you don’t need caffeine to shake off that fatigue

Juggling part-time jobs, midterms, and social calls can be tough without some extra help.

But instead of overdosing on caffeine or Red Bull, try these eight natural energy boosters, which are proven to provide a better energy fix without the dreaded crash that comes several hours later.

Brighten up your morning

Draw those curtains back, and let the the sunlight pour in. Scientists call this the “dawn signal” because the sunlight triggers the cells in your eyes to send a boost of energy to your brain’s internal clock. This tells your body to wake up at the sight of sunlight and helps your body stay awake for the remainder of the day for as long as you are exposed to the sun.

Pick a sunny spot at lunch
Forget the Student Centre’s artificial lighting, and grab a bite to eat beside a window, or better yet, outside. Thirty minutes of exposure to midday sunlight has been shown to boost energy levels.

Avoid high-fat lunches
Ditch the pizza with a side of oil. Digesting these fatty foods releases cholecystokinin, a hormone which triggers the post-meal sluggish, cranky feeling. Instead, opt for a salad or chicken breast—these options are lighter and won’t drag you down for the rest of the day.

Interact with your body
University of Michigan researchers say self-administered acupressure, like squeezing your hand or tapping your head, can be just as effective as a small cup of coffee.

Have some tea-time
Far less jarring than coffee, certain teas provide a smoother release of caffeine, which helps you avoid an eventual caffeine crash. The energizing amino acid L-theanine, found in black, green, and white teas, is known to reduce fatigue.

Take a power nap
Sometimes, it’s good to listen to your body when it’s telling you to sleep, even if it happens to be between classes. Research funded by NASA found a short nap boosted performance levels for long-haul pilots by 34 per cent. So go ahead, and sneak in a nap at Scott library; just make sure you nap for no more than 30 minutes, or you may find yourself more sluggish than before.

Hydrate
Dehydration can cause several uncomfortable symptoms, such as headaches and a lack of energy. If your hydration level drops by 2.6 per cent, your fatigue levels can double. Take advantage of those nifty hydration stations around campus to stay alert throughout the day.

Splash your face
After a long day of class, head over to the washroom, and splash some cool water on your face and wrists to deliver that jolt of energy you’re lacking.

Charlotte Pedersen, Contributor