Aches and pains you shouldn’t ignore

The next time you encounter that persistent headache, you might want to skip the ibuprofen and talk to your doctor instead. Chronic and unbearable pain is a problem and could mean bigger problems. Here are six pains you need to address.

Headache

That throbbing headache often means dehydration, lack of food or sleep, or other less deadly causes. However, severe head pain accompanied by other symptoms like light sensitivity or visual aura could be a brain aneurysm.

Toothache

A throbbing tooth calls for a dentist visit ASAP; it could be nerve damage from cracked or rotting teeth. Ignoring this common symptom could lead to a bacterial infection which can spread throughout the body if not treated soon.

Brief chest pain

Just because the pain has passed, it doesn’t mean it’s any less of a threat. This is especially true when it comes to chest pain. While it may just be a bad case of heartburn, you may have also just had a heart attack. Every year 10,000 women under age 45 suffer from a heart attack. Because women tend to experience less painful symptoms than men, it may feel like chest pain, fatigue, shortness of breath or throat pain.

Abdominal gas or bloating

What you might just pass off as a case of gas or bloating could be the warning signs of ovarian cancer. Early symptoms of ovarian cancer include bloating in addition to having difficulty eating. If you experience these symptoms for more than three weeks, see your a doctor.

Back pain

If Tylenol isn’t easing your persistent back pain, and you feel a numb or tingling sensation in your feet, a disc in your back could be applying pressure on a spinal nerve. It’s recommended that you visit an orthopedist if you experience these symptoms because ignoring them can lead to permanent nerve damage in your spine.

Leg swelling and pain

Noticeably swollen and extremely tender areas of your leg could be signs of a blood clot. When we sit for long periods of time, blood can pool into our lower body and start to clot. In certain cases, it can grow large enough to block a vein or artery. If you are feeling leg pain and swelling, you should consult your doctor and ask for a CT scan or ultrasound to confirm that what you’re feeling isn’t a blood clot.

Charlotte Pedersen, Contributor