Lions crushed by Gee-Gees

Missing one opportunity after another, the Lions played a tough game against the Ottawa Gee-Gees Friday, January 4, losing 74-93.

Only a few minutes into the first, it was clear Ottawa had the upper hand as the Lions continuously dropped the ball, allowing Ottawa to take full advantage.In an effort to sink a basket,Lions point guard David Tyndale attempted to pass the ball, only to have it stolen by Ottawa forward Gabriel Gonthier-Dubue, resulting in a point for Ottawa.

Tom Oliveri, Lions coach, says the team lacked a number of key elements for a good game. “Our levels of effort, execution, and concentration were poor. [Ottawa] played like a nationally ranked team, and we, unfortunately, didn’t.”

Fifteen minutes into the second, Lions forward Daniel Tulloch put the Lions back on track with a run away basket after Ottawa missed the shot.

Seconds later, Tyndale assisted forward Tulloch who landed the shot.

“Daniel has the opportunity to be a special player at our level,” says Oliveri. “We continue to demand a lot of him because he’s good enough to be someone to demand a lot of.”

The Lions played a much more aggressive game heading into the third.

Tyndale landed a beautiful shot six minutes in, capitalizing with a steal and run away point for the Lions.

With a minute left in the third, Tulloch drove the ball into the net with a three-pointer for the Lions.

A lack of concentration on the Lions’ part seemed to follow as forward Aaron Rados made the perfect set-up for a slam dunk, only to have point guard Akeem Isaac completely miss the net.

A pass to Tyndale slipped between his fingers yet again, allowing Ottawa to take the lead.

The Lions made a complete turn-around by the fourth quarter.With the clock ticking away,Tulloch powered through Ottawa’s defensive wall, ending with a spin up to the net, where he secured the point.

With pressure climbing as Ottawa’s Gonthier-Dubue sunk in a two-pointer, Lions point guard T’J Rutty shoved him in the chest.

The referee told Rutty to cool it before the game picked up again.

Rados landed an incredible three-pointer with just 30 second son the clock, and Tyndale secured two penalty shots only minutes later, but it wasn’t enough to tie the game as Ottawa remained victorious with a final score of 74-93.

Oliveri is keeping his sights on playing against the rest of the teams in the province.

“I’m looking forward to playing the rest of the teams on the division,seeing how we stack up, how we look against those teams, [and]whether or not we can meet our expectation of where we should be.”

By Aileen Ormoc, Sports Editor

Photos by Mark Grant