Broken condom? You aren’t fucked

Do you know what to do when the condom breaks? Most students don’t.

A new study from Northwestern University says American students are misinformed about their options.

According to the study, only two thirds out of a sample of 210 university students knew to take emergency contraception in the event of a broken condom, even with the aid of the internet.

Some students responded with “wash genitals” or “pregnancy test,” but neither of those will stop a pregnancy.

Levonorgestrel medications can prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Plan B and NorLevo are two types of levonorgestrel medications.

In Ontario, Plan B is more common and easier to find than NorLevo. If taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex, Plan B is 95 per cent successful.

It comes in two pills, both of which must be taken at the same time.

The pills contain progestin, a synthetic form of the female hormone progesterone.

There is also an eight-pill emergency contraception option that contains progestin and estrogen.

It requires a prescription and is generally cheaper than Plan B.

Using levonorgestrel, an ingredient found in many birth control medications, the pills temporarily stop the release of the egg from the ovary, preventing fertilization and eggs from attaching to the uterus.

In the American study, only 40 per cent of students knew how to buy Plan B over the counter.

In Canada, Plan B is over-the counter in all provinces, except Saskatchewan and Quebec.

If you ever find yourself in a pregnancy scare, you can find Plan B at your nearest pharmacy.

Plan B is not a form of birth control, but rather an emergency button.

It isn’t cheap either, ringing in at almost $40 at Shopper’s Drugmart. However, Planned Parenthood Toronto, near St. George Station, will sell Plan B for $13.

The pills aren’t a guarantee. Only seven out of eight women will prevent their pregnancy with Plan B.

Joseph Adubofuor, Health Plan Coordinator for York Federation of Students, says Plan B is not covered by the YFS health plan since use is only recommended once every six months.

If you need help after unprotected sex, it’s always better to know what support is available at York and downtown.

By Kendra Hulsebosch, contributor

TL;DR edition

1 You need to be 17 or older to buy the morning-after pill without a prescription

2 Plan B is not as effective as other emergency contraception options

3 Take the pill within 72 hours after unprotected sex

4 Potential side effects: nausea, abdominal pain, dizziness, diarrhea, vomiting

5 Taking the pill does not protect you against sexually transmitted diseases like HIV/AIDS