The fight against AIDS misinformation

Radha Bhardwaj fights ignorance. - Wayne Hudson

York commemorates with candlelight vigil

Vanessa Dullabh

December 1, 2011 marked International AIDS Awareness Day. This day holds a special place in the hearts of those who are affected by HIV and a source of information for those who do not understand the outcomes and specifics of AIDS.  The Health

Education and Promotion and AIDS Committee of York Region were proud supporters of this event by hosting a candlelight
vigil on Campus Walk at York University.

The event aimed to question current sexual disease-related policies for those affected by AIDS and confront a stigma of ignorance often advocated by most people on the subject matter.

Health studies student Andrea explains how her life was changed when she accidentally found out her maternal grandparents were both affected by the virus.

“My family hid the truth from me, but it wasn’t anything to be ashamed of because it was contracted through a medical blood transfusion,” says Andrea. Cases like these are swept under the rug and unaddressed locally and globally. “My mom didn’t tell me because she didn’t want my father’s side of the family to know, they created a social stigma within the family.”

Andrea understands the stigma comes from the history of impoverished countries, drug users, and the blood industry; however she expressed her interest towards the overarching stigma against the gay community. It is easy to believe AIDS is a disease specific to Church and Wellesley; but unlike people, AIDS does not discriminate.

The idea of “not in my backyard” is a concerning issue to the Western world as invited speaker Radha Bhardwaj, executive director of AIDS Committee of York Region explained. Bhardwaj says that since we live in a developed nation, it is easy to think that HIV/AIDS occurs only in places like Africa. Bhardwaj pleads with the public to spread education about the issue because it is preventable. Lack of precaution and education is the underlying cause of contraction, followed by a lifetime of stress and stigma. “We are humans and social beings. We cannot live with isolation in society.”

Although the stigmas exist, the event focused on overcoming this existing social backlash. Bhardwaj was invited to the candlelight vigil as a way to represent the community and spread her knowledge of the growing trends within York region.

The event challenged common misconceptions of marginalized groups including sex workers, drug users, and the gay community.
The challenges of race, culture, citizenship, and class form a stream of beliefs that the Health Education committee is working to battle and distribute broad information which would reduce stigma and ultimately provide a safe space in society for those
affected by HIV/AIDS.