For our sisters, our mothers, our daughters, and our daughters’ daughters

Jodie Vanderslot | Health Editor

Featured Image: The annual Canadian Cancer Society’s CIBC Run for the Cure on October 1 started off Breast Cancer Awareness month in a strong and impactful way. | Jodie Vanderslot

Pink and white filled some of the busiest downtown streets as the annual Canadian Cancer Society’s CIBC Run for the Cure, which took place on October 1, started off Breast Cancer Awareness month in a strong and impactful way.

October is the month dedicated to building breast cancer awareness and support those who have been affected by the disease. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women; approximately one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.

The first CIBC Run for the Cure took place in 1992 in High Park, with around 1,500 people coming together to raise $85,000. This year marks the 26th anniversary of the event, taking place in 56 locations across Canada, with about 20,000 participants in Toronto alone. The run has quickly grown into a countrywide event, raising an estimated $17 million dollars this year.

Decked out in pink and white with their loved ones’ names or personal statements proudly displayed on their t-shirts, carried on banners, or spoken of during their walk, the network of volunteers and supporters was evident as everyone traveled together. The opening ceremonies began at King’s College Circle on U of T’s St. George campus, continued around Queen’s Park, and down University and St. George streets. Participants could either walk or run their choice of one or five kilometres through the downtown area.

York’s women’s rugby team was among the proud participants in the run. Head Coach Jen Russell says: “I’m really proud of the legacy of community involvement the rugby program has. The team’s involvement in Run for the Cure, and many other community initiatives, began before I became a part of this program, and I know it will continue to be a big part of who we are as a team.”

The CIBC Run for the Cure began in partnership with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and CIBC. However, as of this past February, the CBCF merged and joined forces with the Canadian Cancer Society, presenting a united front. It is Canada’s largest single-day, volunteer-led event dedicated to breast cancer awareness and supporting survivors. The money raised will be invested in new breast cancer research and will work towards improving screening and early detection technologies, in the hope of reducing the rate of recurrence.

“CIBC Run for the Cure has been a team tradition of ours for as long as I can remember. Regardless of the early morning commute on our rest day, my team is always excited to put aside their cleats for the day and grab some pompoms and cowbells to cheer along the participants,” says Catherine Iuliano, a Lions rugby player and fourth-year student in Business administration.

“Our involvement has always made a huge impact on  the event, ranging from leading the pre-run warmup on stage or encouraging the runners at the halfway mark! As powerful female athletes, our team loves to connect with the community and lead others to do good.”

Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women, which is why creating awareness around prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and care is so significant. Events such as the CIBC Run for the Cure work to further research while promoting and supporting those affected by breast cancer.

For more photos from the event, check out the York Lions women’s rugby team instagram @yorkurugby