Pocket guide to a winter break in Toronto

Get your Toronto events on!

Get your Toronto events on!
Get your Toronto events on!

Have any plans for the coming winter break? If not, here’s a list of cool things in the city that may be of interest to you.
1. For Thrill Seekers or Nature Enthusiasts: 
Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada
Did you have boring and uneventful school trips in school? See what they could have been with this awesome display of rare and colorful marine life. Located near the bottom of the CN Tower, it is the largest indoor aquarium in Canada, with over 16,000 marine animals.
Want to get up close and personal with sharks? I don’t, but for the rest of you brave souls, you can go to the Dangerous Lagoon, a glass-shielded sidewalk that goes right through Jaws-infested waters.
With multiple galleries ranging from aquatic life in our own Great Lakes to the more exotic (and admittedly impressive), you’re bound to have an interesting experience.
2. For Romantics or Photographers:
Christmas Flower Show at Allan Gardens
Are you a thoughtful poet or an artist that looks to nature for creativity? Or do you just need a romantic place to take your angry date?  The Allan Gardens Conservatory is a historic landmark, displaying a beautiful collection of thousands of flowering plants. It would definitely make for some great Instagram shots.
You can even see the gardens by candlelight – so romantic. Oh, and did I mention that it’s free?
3. For Artists or Collectors: 
One of a Kind Christmas Show and Sale at Exhibition Place
Running out of gift ideas for friends and family, or want to give them something handmade? For those of us who are not as crafty, the One of a Kind Christmas Show and Sale displays items made completely by hand, from over 800 artisans.
It is the largest consumer craft show in North America, and has been around since 1975. It’s open until December 8.
4. For Bohemians or Festive People: 
Christmas Market at the Distillery District
Ever thought about going to Europe for Christmas? Ever realized that’s ridiculously expensive? Fill the void by coming down to the Christmas Market at the Distillery District. It’s a traditional, European-style Christmas fair in another cool, historic site, and located right near downtown Toronto.
It’s a great place for shopping, cuisine, and entertainment, and it’s a totally unique experience. The market is open until December 15, and makes for a great, after-exam trip. Also, beer gardens. Cheers!
5. For Readers or Writers or Hipsters: 
Toronto Indie Arts Market at the Gladstone Hotel
Do you love all things indie? Do you love to read? Why not combine your two loves and come to the Toronto Indie Arts Market?  There’s a one-day small press and literary festival happening on December 14. Independent and creative, it’s another unique spot to shop if you’re running out of creative gift ideas.
Your literature-loving friends and family members will love you for it.
6. For Dancers or Classical Music fans or Romantics or Festive People: 
The Nutcracker at the Toronto Center for the Arts
Even if you’re not one for ballet, this show will not disappoint. With beautiful music, choreography, and costumes, it’s a classic story. You can see it on December 20 or 21.
7. For Bad Singers Who Don’t Care or Theatre Buffs: 
Musicals 
What kind of person says no to musicals? And I’m not talking about your average Shakespearean play here, people.  With musicals like Aladdin and Les Misérables, thou shalt never be bored. With singing and dancing, it’s a fun time for everyone, so bring your loved ones along with you.
Just try not to get kicked out for singing along to those catchy numbers.
8. For Samaritans and Everyone: 
Volunteer!
Lastly, and most importantly, this season is not just about buying gifts – it’s about giving back. A quick Google search and you will see that there are many organizations that need volunteers like you.
Even if it’s not specifically related to the holidays, volunteers are always needed and much appreciated, whether it’s here on campus, in your community, or in the city.
Priscila Jaquerz