Studs, threads, dreads, spunk

Embrace the bold side of your wardrobe, and show off a little edge

Marilyn Ize-Dukuze and Ranjit Dhatt
Contributors

Freedom of expression

Every day, we are forced to conform to society’s expectations of us. Advertising billboards and television dictate what looks good and what doesn’t; what is in and what is out of style. Instead of celebrating it, our culture tends to judge and look down on individuality.

Developing your own sense of style may help you at least feel like you’re breaking free of these expectations. Part of that style might include piercings, crazy hair, or whatever else you might find to make you stand out.

Photos by Marilyn Ize-Duzuke and Ranjit Dhatt

Kadijah Herbert

I have eight piercings in total: one septum, two vertical labrets, two lobes stretched at 9/16″, one conch, and two tragus piercings to call my own.

I got my first piercing at 19. It was my septum piercing. It was a result of a neo-tribal-punk-rock obsession that I had for a good year or so. All of these embellishments are a part of the perfect “misfit” girl I internalized. The intensity and the endorphin rush you get from having the piercings done is addictive, and it’s also my way of distinguishing myself, and expressing who I am.”

How do we make the same colour from head to toe look interesting? Texture. This look creates the illusion of height
with class.

The black, sheer button-up tank from Lavish & Squalor is daring, but the relaxed finish still makes it comfortable. Pairing the tank with leather shorts maintains the “bad girl” theme, and creates height by not being longer than the top.

With the coat thrown over the shoulder, the contrast of the leather sleeve against the wool front creates a standout look by juxtaposing different textures. The black leather ankle booties and gloves help set a strong tone for the entire look. A red lip is used to add a touch of colour to a dark yet fun ensemble.

Hilary Arellano

People always comment on the pink and blue hair, saying things like, ‘You remind me of car wash bubbles, bubble gum ice cream, a unicorn, cotton candy.’

Metal, colors, and ink are often associated with the notions of rebellion and confusion. But now I think people have adjusted to these appearances. When I get older, I want to be the courageous individual who made their presence known, rather than the cowardly daydreamer full of regret who blended into society.”

The crisp, white, short-sleeved button-up blouse makes the hair colour pop. Trapping the white shirt between a black, pleated maxi skirt and a black, pork pie hat from Lavish & Squalor allows the colourful hair to explode from amongst the tones.

The cutout of the skirt at the front lets us see the stocking design, makes the model look taller, and gives us a peak of the cute pair of black, open-toed heels.

Erika Szabo

Making the leap to dye my hair was a liberating one, giving me the chance to work up my sense of confidence. I’ve had times where I go back to my natural hair colour, but I always feel the urge to dye it again. Sometimes I receive compliments, and sometimes, stares.

My hair is like a canvas. Self-expression is an important part of my life, and I like to use my hair as a reflection of myself. I like having that sense of freedom and control, and I also simply enjoy the fun and colours. Dyeing my hair isn’t the only way I try to express myself, but it is the one that seems to draw the most attention.”