Rediscover your high school swag

Marilyn Ize-Dukuze and Ranjit Dhatt
Contributors

Were you a nerd, tomboy, jock, goth of hippie in high school? What was it that made you fit in with this particular group? More likely than not, it was your style. But these characters are not limited to only the realm of high school. They are found everywhere; at home, at work, and at parties, and their style is what distinguishes them.

Tomboy: Jacket – Pretty Freedom

Goth: Cable Knit Sweater – Pretty Freedom

Jock: Jacket, Button-up & Jeans – Of a Kind

Hippie: Headband – Of a Kind

Nerd: Pullover & Button-up – Pretty Freedom

Your high school identity doesn’t have to shadow you forever. You can mix it up by taking a look from the past, and layering it with new items to give yourself a fresher outfit.

Take this band of students for example. Their clothing clearly defines who they are. From left to right it is quite clear: tomboy, goth, jock, hippie, and nerd. Their clothing says it all for them.

Note however, that these people change their image by changing their outfit.

Your clothes shouldn’t speak for you, but they are a reflection of you. If you don’t like what they’re saying, change it. Use different styles to show all the different sides of yourself.

We picked out some Spring/Summer items that you can experiment with in your next ensemble.

This goth-gone-jock has gone from intimidating to relaxed with a pair of Converses. The signature varsity jacket remains in tact.

Get this look:

Varsity jacket – Roots

No more dorky glasses for this nerd. Now a hippie, he’s traded the unkempt, baggy look in for more refined, better fitting clothing,

Get this look:

Shirt, jacket, pants & bag – Gotstyle the Menswear Store

Shoes – Dr Martens

Holding on to darker colors, this tomboy is now a goth. Add a little bit of flair with a pair of pumps and skinny jeans.

Get this look:

Shirt – Of a Kind

Smarten up by opting for a more clean, sophisticated look. This jock is not just an athlete. His outfit shows that he is an academic.

Get this look:

Tie, button down shirt, blazer & pants – Gotstyle the Menswear Store

Shoes – Dr Martens

This hippie sold out and had to get a job. But she can still express herself. There is lots of room for girls in tradtionally boyish attire.

Get this look:

Polo shirt – Of a kind

Tie – Gotstyle the Menswear Store