The Music Gallery presents X Avant XVII: LifeWorld

Courtesy of The Music Gallery

From Oct. 12th to 15th, The Music Gallery in Toronto, located at 918 Bathurst Street, is presenting the 17th edition of the Avant X festival, entitled X Avant XVII: LifeWorld.

Sanjeet Takhar, the artistic director of The Music Gallery, explains that “The Music Gallery is a space that advocates for experimentation. We’re not a classic concert hall that will put on typical concerts. We’re constantly breaking boundaries, testing out new ways of presenting, and leaning into the perspectives, dreams, and goals of artists and community members.”

“X Avant is a concept that started 17 years ago and I’m just continuing on the legacy of this flagship festival. This year dives into themes of remix culture. Not remix as in a club context, but remix as a musical tool for intersectionality. Every place we move, every interaction we have, every place we visit, or new friends we make, informs our art. This festival is an exploration of these stories,” says Takhar.

The four day event will present a variety of performers, such as Yannis Kyriakides, Andy Moor, Quatour Bozzini, M.I.Blue, and Bijuriya. M.I.Blue, a neo-soul artist from Toronto, will be the opening performance. Bijuriya will be exploring her cultural roots by representing the diversity of South Asian female identities through drag performance, vocal improvisation, original songs, experimental sound design, singing, and lip-syncing.

On the final day of the festival, Oct. 15, The Music Gallery will team up with Lula Lounge and Labyrinth Ontario to transform the venue into a family house party. This will include multiple rooms, free food, video and art installations, and music at every corner, creating a fully immersive experience.

Takhar has established herself in Toronto’s underground DIY electronic music scene over the past decade and is proud to continue to see it grow. “I believe that York students will find a lot to learn, experience, and grow from at X Avant. From thought provoking programming, to drag shows and full on, multi-room, multi-floor house parties. This year is about having fun and celebrating our city!” says Takhar.

There are various ways that York students can get involved in The Music Gallery — students enjoy discounted admissions to shows, free membership, can apply to host their own concert through the You in Mind series, attend residency programs, or apply to intern for the tech team.

“Our doors are always open to students!” ends Takhar.

To learn more about X Avant XVII: LifeWorld and to purchase tickets, click here.

By Sydney Ewert

Arts Editor

arts@excal.on.ca

Sydney is in her third year at York University studying Dance. She loves to travel and explore new places. When Sydney is not editing, working, or studying for her classes, she is likely going for walks or learning new recipes.