What we can learn from the Gilmore Girls: a review of the cult-classic television show

(Courtesy of Netflix)

During the COVID-19 pandemic, TikTok came up with many trends relating to books, movies, and TV shows, and Gilmore Girls was no exception. The show is a substantial relic of the Y2K era and as fashion trends from this time are making a comeback, so is the popularity of this mother-daughter duo. 

Produced by Amy Sherman-Pallidino, starring Lauren Graham as independent, single-mother Lorelai Gilmore, along with Alexis Bledel as her daughter Rory, Gilmore Girls is a seven-season comedy-drama that aired from 2000 to 2007. In 2016 the show made a brief but brilliant return with a four episode mini-series titled “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” 

The shoulder bags, wide-legged pants, square boots, plaid skirts, argyle sweaters, and leather blazers are habitual in the early 2000’s show, though now they are now seen as trending “fashion staples.” It is a clear indication that fashion and entertainment never disappear, but are only ever recycled. 

From rating Rory’s love interests, to praising and criticising the mother-daughter relationship, following Rory’s reading list, or loving Lorelai’s fashion sense, Gilmore Girls has been back, trending, and inviting even more people to watch. 

Gilmore Girls is packed with wit, humour, and never-ending pop culture references that heighten the show’s comical and edgy aspect. However, this popular TV show goes beyond being entertaining; strong relationships, heartbreak, academic success, and failure all add more depth into this drama. Protagonists Lorelai and Rory Gilmore reside in a cozy, eccentric town known as “Stars Hollow” where they sail through multiple networks of dreams and significant levels of personal growth when they are forced to reconnect with Lorelai’s estranged parents. 

The show, being inherently light-hearted, had a script that is naturally executed by the actors with the perfect amount of emotion. It is fast-paced and there is always an element of humour. However, many times the constant pop-culture references and jokes felt like they were trying to force a laugh out of the audience. 

The actual women of Gilmore Girls are what make the show so iconic. 

Lauren Graham’s character is very upbeat, fashionable, and fits all the criteria of the “cool mom.” She is always loud in town meetings because that is what her character is: loud, cheery, and energetic. 

Alexis Bledel’s character Rory is a straight-A student who’s obsessed with books, and is an obedient daughter who rarely breaks the rules despite her easygoing mother. Even in the most intense scenes when yelling and big emotions are involved, Bledel maintains a gentle and calm aura for her character.

When I look at Bledel and Graham, who give us natural, raw, and true-to-life characters to relate to, the lines between character and actor seem to blur.

Shows like Gilmore Girls, or any comedy-drama, never go out of style because of the feeling of nostalgia they provide. 
While Gilmore Girls is not necessarily the best show out there, it certainly is relatable, easy to follow, and entertaining.

By Javeria Rana