Eui Yong Zong, film student makes waves

Eui Yong Zong’s films, Conceived and Elizabeth, have beaten out many others at Cineseige.

York University’s own film student Eui Yong Zong is making waves as an experimental director. His second-year films Conceived and Elizabeth have played at various festivals and beat out numerous films one and two years above his own at York’s own juried showcase of films, Cinesiege, a first in York history. Excalibur sat down to talk to him about his filmmaking career, his experience at York, and his plans for the future.

When did you first know that you wanted to be a filmmaker?

I did have a special interest in film growing up, but the decision to become a filmmaker came fairly recently—maybe about two years ago.

Can you tell us a bit about your film Conceived and the filmmaking process?

A few years ago, my father told me the story about how I was conceived and also how he wanted to have an abortion, so he pushed my mother to go through it alone. In the end, my mother decided to keep the baby, and here I am.

Last year, in experimental film class, I wanted to revisit the story and recorded the Skype conversation with my parents living on the other side of the globe (somewhere in Asia) and filmed imageries that could fit into the mood of the narrative. It was all shot on 16mm bolex camera mixed with some of the super-8 family archive. Everything was built around a single conversation.

You have encountered a lot of success with this film, such as winning Best Alternative Film at the Cinesiege 2013. How does this affect the way you see your filmmaking?

Winning an award at Cinesiege was definitely a rewarding experience, and I’m grateful for it. It was definitely a great encouragement for me to push forward for my next projects!

Conceived was a very simple film with very little production value, but perhaps the story was engaging, and maybe that’s what matters the most in the end.

How has the film program at York helped you? What is your experience like there?

The film program at York is superb. And it’s all about the people you meet. Professors in the program have been very supportive and inspiring—especially for Conceived because I had never been exposed to experimental filmmaking prior to film school, the kind of approach and different styles I learned in class were significant in shaping my film.

And just working with your fellow classmates on one another’s sets; I think meeting and working with people who have the same passion as you do is the biggest asset you will leave the school with in the end: your friends.

Are you working on another film, or do you have any ideas for the future?

I’m working on my first fiction piece. It is actually a hybrid of documentary and fiction. I’m having the real people play the roles, but the story is scripted. Because they are real people in their own environment, there is a documentary element to it.

I guess my idea for the future is to keep improving on my craft of storytelling. I would love work in feature documentaries or make my own in the near future.