Screw the Rex; jam right here on campus

Images of the Richard Whiteman Trio, a prominent group in Toronto’s jazz scene. - courtesy of yorku.ca

The Richard Whiteman Trio took the stage at Jazz at Noon on September 20

Kris Harvey

Images of the Richard Whiteman Trio, a prominent group in Toronto’s jazz scene. – courtesy of yorku.ca

The jazz industry is a tough nut to crack; it takes a combination of commitment, talent, and, in many cases, luck.

Yet despite all this, Richard Whiteman, a jazz piano professor at York, has been a prominent industry figure for decades.

Whiteman is a well-versed musician, and he has garnered plenty of success in Toronto’s jazz scene.

Which is why a performance by the Richard Whiteman Trio on September 20 marked a great start to the York University music department’s series of Jazz at Noon.

The trio of pianist Richard Whiteman, bassist Artie Roth, and drummer Barry Romberg, played what is most easily defined as modern mainstream jazz.

The hour-long performance was a mix of jazz standards and originals, developed by the band’s improvisatory stylings.

Each member showcased his talents with on-the-spot improvised solos. This included a drum solo that had both Whiteman and Roth watching in anticipation.

Standouts of the show were an impromptu performance of “Blues in F” and a speedy rendition of Eddie Vinson’s “Four.”

While they had taught side by side for years, this was the trio’s debut performance together.

There was a camaraderie onstage between the musicians that gave their performances a visual dimension; a relationship best captured by Whiteman’s own enthusiastic mid-set remark, “We’re having a blast up here.”

The Trio’s setlist was cohesive, though seemingly less planned as the concert progressed.

This, along with the band’s unique collaborative style, should ensure a returning audience at future Jazz at Noon events.

The show was attended almost exclusively by music students, with a few empty seats. This begs the question, “Where is the rest of York’s student population?”

With a performing force that would normally occupy the likes of Queen West’s the Rex Hotel and no cover charge, any York student should feel inclined to attend.

Jazz can be daunting for first-time listeners, but a performance like the one by the Richard Whiteman Trio is easygoing and accessible.