Israeli band plays free gig

The Idan Raichel Project coupled their campus performance with an intimate chat dedicated to their fans

Adelaide Strachan

The Idan Raichel Project played to an intermittent audience of fans Monday afternoon. The performance consisted of an interview with Raichel and fellow collaborator, Cabra Casay, whose voice embodies her Ethiopian heritage and Jewish upbringing. The result is a breathtaking performance of cultures.

Raichel and Casay reminisce about the Idan Raichel Project’s humble beginnings in Raichel’s parents’ basement just outside Tel Aviv. Thus far, they have collaborated with more than 70 different artists who make up the Project’s signature sound. Having sold more than 300,000 albums, the Idan Raichel Project is a three-time platinum selling artist in Israel and has a solid cult following around the world.

When I first heard that the Idan Raichel Project was coming to Toronto—and to our university—I was extremely excited, to say the least. I was first introduced to his music by a friend about seven years ago. His music makes you feel as though you have been listening to it your whole life.

Raichel won me over with his charm and sincerity when he discussed his music and influences. His overriding philosophy of love and tolerance and his sense of community came to light with a contagious sense of passion through his music.

The only downside to the afternoon’s performance was that the time allotted was too short, and the fact that Idan and his crew had to rush off to catch a plane back to Israel left no time to talk with the fans. At the very least, he left us wanting more with some spine-tingling music vibes.