Nightbox only teaser of live performance

Aileen Ormoc

staff writer
@excalweb

Featured on MuchMusic’s Discovered, Toronto-based Irish band Nightbox released their self-titled EP February 22.

Their sound is reminiscent of catchy dance tunes of the early ‘90s, infused with fist-pumping electronic synths. Each song offers something different from the last. It begins with a light, poppy aura and then finishes off with high-energy, dance-worthy tracks.

What separates Nightbox from any other cutesy boy band is their edgy sound. Unlike most bands today, it is difficult to pinpoint what one genre they belong to. Amidst pop influences, they maintain a rock/alternative sound throughout the entire EP.

The songs are full of rich imagery ranging from scenes of alien abduction, glowing pyramids, and even razor-toothed bears.

The opening track “Pyramid” is definitely a tough one to get out of your head. The hook sounds something like a repeat button gone haywire coupled with playful beats that make you want to run through a field of daisies.

“Relocate You” is hands down their best song. It paints a vivid picture, something most dance music seldom does. The song starts off with a spacey synth that sounds like being transported to another world. It begins in the lower register and then quickly picks up, getting louder as drums and audio kick in. This song is the epitome of Nightbox—a masterpiece of synths, vocals, and out-of-this-world imagery.

Their most pop-influenced song “Bears” is my least favourite, relying on one-dimensional, pop-influenced beats to keep the song going. Nonetheless, it’s a catchy song.

Speaking from experience, their EP alone does not do them justice. They are not one of those overly-produced, nicely packaged bands. In fact, they’re the opposite. Watching them perform live, they are without a doubt a hundred times better than any one of their songs in their EP could have illustrated. From start to finish, they were full of energy the entire night.

Nightbox is one of the most underrated Canadian bands to date. They are inventive, original, and offer something entirely new to the music scene.