Toronto’s top 10 comedy acts of 2011

If you missed Russell Peters and company this year, catch them in the new year

Ami Miller

Debra DiGiovanni - Wikimedia
Russel Peters - Wikimedia
Louis CK - Wikimedia
Jenny Parsons and Steve Morel - Wikimedia
Neil Hamburger - Wikimedia

LOUIS C.K.
@ The Sony Centre

Arguably today’s best comic, he’s also one of the hardest working. With a growing family and a hit series, Louie, which he writes, directs, edits, and stars in, he still finds time to tour with new material. Love or hate his edgy comedy (children being killed!), his material exposes the cynic in all of us. I’ve never seen a more natural performer, and after two 90+ minute shows, he still took time to shake hands and pose for pictures with fans. The Sony Centre is also my favourite venue—great sound, great stage, and not a bad seat in the house.

RON SPARKS ROAST OF COLIN MOCHRIE
@ Drake Underground

I’m not a big fan of roasts, but I’m glad I took a chance on this. “Guest of Dishonour” Colin Mochrie was expertly bashed by a talented panel of roasters, emceed by Sparks, including Dan Redican, Laurie Elliott, Winston Spear, and more. Mochrie was just as sharp cutting up his roasters to close the night. Free pictures with the cast after the show were also a great touch.

EMO PHILIPS
@ Yuk-Yuks Downtown

I can’t think of a more physically awkward comedian than the goofy-haired Philips, but I also can’t think of many who are funnier. He whines his way through brilliantly bizarre sets that leave you wondering, “how did he even think of that?” He has aged visibly, but his thoughts are still so twisted that I wouldn’t want him at my dinner table. The man is hilarious, and you’ll quote his one-liners for weeks.

STEVE PATTERSON: JFL TOUR & CANADIAN COMEDY AWARDS @ Massey Hall & Isabelle Bader Theatre

Steve Patterson (CBC’s The Debaters) seems to be born to host. A story-telling comic who even sings, he stood out on the Just For Laughs tour with some of the UK’s best comics. He also did a brilliant job hosting the 2011 Canadian Comedy Awards—not a cakewalk when most of the audience is other comics—and even picked up the trophy for Best Male Stand-up.

OTHER PEOPLE’S STUFF: BENEFIT FOR RED DOOR SHELTERS
@ Comedy Bar

This show featured a ton of amazing comics. Jenny Parsons and Steve Morel opened with “Who’s On First?” playing Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lecter. Ron Sparks followed with the highlight of the night, a brilliantly awkward send-up of Russell Peters that literally left the audience in tears. Other standouts were Paul Bellini’s hilarious take on Chris Rock, and Pat Thornton as Woody Allen. Hosts Marcel St. Pierre and Scott McCrickard performed with genuine, contagious excitement.

IT’S ALWAYS SOMETHING:BENEFIT FOR GILDA’S CLUB
@ Sony Centre

Knowing that the money goes to a good cause must make shows funnier. Host Russell Peters was great as always, and Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara got big laughs. But the real standout was Martin Short with his rendition of “Candle in the Wind” for Osama Bin Laden. The show was surprisingly long—over two hours, with speeches—but didn’t dip in quality.

DEBRA DIGIOVANNI: SINGLE AWKWARD FEMALE TOUR
@ Panasonic Theatre

Having opened for Russell Peters and proved herself as a Just For Laughs favourite, DiGiovanni has described her comedy as “Debra-centric.” She lets us in on her stream of consciousness, with routine staples centred around her weight, age, family, and of course, her cat. But even when she’s joking about how sad she is, she has a giddy energy that lets us know everything is okay. Her self-deprecating humour makes her insanely likeable, and everyone leaves with a smile.

TWO KIDS ONE HALL (TORONTO SKETCH COMEDY FESTIVAL)
@ The Lower Ossington Theatre

TSCF always has great troupes, but 2011’s highlight was special. Kids in the Hall stars Kevin McDonald and Scott Thompson are still masters of their craft with their stand-up act Two Kids One Hall. Thompson’s sets stood out with shocking material about his battle with lymphoma, a breast cancer scare, and a Calgary threesome. McDonald was also great. He sang, made faces, and even broke the mic stand. Host Ron Sparks was no slouch either.

SECOND CITY: DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE! AND OTHER LIES
@ Second City

With only two returning cast members, I tried to keep my expectations low going into Second City’s latest revue, but it was amazing. Under director Kerry Griffin’s watch, every cast member stood out, every scene worked, and every joke hit. The new set is more than welcome, and the lighting and music are excellent. As much as I want to quote the best lines, I can’t give anything away.

NEIL HAMBURGER: BACK BY UNPOPULAR DEMAND
@ Comedy Bar

Some would define Neil Hamburger as more of an “anti” than an “alt” comic, but Comedy Bar’s audience would disagree. He stammered, coughed, and cleared his throat through his signature sweat-soaked set. Comedy Bar brought in some other interesting names in 2011, including Kevin Sorbo and Bret “The Hitman” Hart.