Clarkson, Stronger than ever

Kelly Clarkson - Just Jared

Samantha Osaduke
Staff Writer

Kelly Clarkson - Just Jared

Twenty-nine-year-old Kelly Clarkson has returned after a two-year break, with the October 25 release of her fifth studio album, Stronger. She has 10 years of controversy-free stardom under her belt. Her 2007 album, My December, flopped, and since then she’s been on damage control. All I Ever Wanted in 2009 was a successful precursor to her current album.

According to Kelly Clarkson in USA Today, the anthemic “What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger)” is the artist’s personal favorite on the new album, good enough to dethrone her classic break-up track “Since You Been Gone.”

Although Clarkson says she’s never been in love, this doesn’t stop her from singing love songs. A charming bonus track on the deluxe version of her album is “Don’t You Want to Stay” by Jason Aldean featuring Clarkson. The track is reminiscent of Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood’s “Remind Me”. While this duet is outside of her comfort zone, it is an interesting mix of Clarkson’s pop style and Aldean’s country sensibility.

Clarkson remains intimate and personal on Stronger. “Don’t Be A Girl About It” recalls dating troubles, a consistent theme in her music, and “You Can’t Win” is about her frustration with the media’s fixation on her weight.

The new album is honest and raw—she doesn’t candy-coat her emotions. Her two-year break ends with a successful album that she can stand by artistically, while also playing to her fanbase. After five albums, some of her tracks echo her best and most popular previous tracks.

Kelly Clarkson has come a long way from her American Idol days, and despite her hiatus, the singer stronger for the time away.