Woman injured in stabbing near York last night

Mahdis Habibinia | Executive Editor, Online

Featured image courtesy of Max Trotta / Global News

On January 22 the Toronto police were called to the area of Leitch Avenue and Assiniboine Road around 10:00 p.m. after receiving reports of a stabbing. 

A 23-year-old woman was walking on York’s campus when a man assaulted her, “knocking her to the ground and dragging her a short distance,” stated the Toronto Police Service (TPS) news release. The suspect fled on foot.

Paramedics arrived on scene and found that the woman sustained life-threatening injuries. The victim is currently in critical condition at a trauma centre. 

TPS says that the victim was both stabbed and shot. Officers initially believed that the woman was beaten and stabbed, however their investigation has revealed she also suffered a gunshot wound.

The man has not been identified yet. The suspect in question is described as an Asian male in his mid 20s with black hair, approximately 5’9” to 5’11” and 170-190 lbs, wearing glasses and a black puffy jacket.

York released a security bulletin around 7:30 a.m. last Wednesday stating that the suspect remains “outstanding.”

TPS also reported that he is still armed with the knife, and that they have yet to find the gun.

“Special attention to the south end of campus by York Security has been actioned. York Security has increased patrols in the area. The Toronto Police investigation is ongoing and York Security is assisting police in their investigation,” stated the bulletin. 

A second security bulletin was released that day around 3:45 p.m. confirming that the female victim is a York student. “We are in contact with both the victim and their family to provide support,” stated the second bulletin. 

TPS is asking anyone with information to contact them at 416-808-3100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).

More to come on this developing story.

By Mahdis Habibinia

Mahdis is a York University graduate with an Honours BA in Professional Writing, a Certificate in Spanish Language Proficiency, and an expected Master of Journalism '23. She is also fluent in Farsi. She began her journey with Excalibur as a contributor in 2017 then worked as executive editor from 2018-2020. For the 2020-2021 year, Mahdis served as editor-in-chief. She is curious about the world, BIPOC stories, and passionate about writing as a platform for advocacy and representation. She hopes to one day add to the diversity of Canadian media both in the content it produces and as a staff member. When Mahdis is not writing or editing or correcting people on the spelling of her name, she is likely marathon-viewing thrillers and crime shows that oddly bear no impact on her sleep.