Police make arrest in connection with feces assaults at York, U of T

Shahroze Rauf | News Editor

Mahdis Habibinia | Executive Editor, Online

Featured image courtesy of Excalibur

The Toronto Police Service (TPS) have made an arrest related to the string of assaults that occurred on the U of T and York campuses. 

23-year-old Samuel Opoku was arrested and charged with five counts of assault with a weapon and five counts of mischief interfere with property. Police arrested Opoku in the Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue area around 6:00 p.m. on November 26, according to an official release by the TPS.

The most recent alleged incident of feces being poured took place at College Street and McCaul Street. Police were called to the scene on November 25 after reports of a bucket of feces being poured onto a female victim around midnight. The suspect escaped towards the east side of College Street, leaving behind an orange bucket from Home Depot, which was later bagged by officers on scene. 

The first alleged incident took place on November 22 in U of T’s John P. Robarts Research Library where a woman and a young person were assaulted with a bucket of “liquified fecal matter”, according to the TPS. 

The second alleged incident happened on November 24 in York’s Scott Library, where a man and woman were assaulted, also with a bucket of fecal matter.

“York University Security Services responded to the incident. We have reached out to the victim of the assault to offer support,” says Acting Chief Spokesperson for York Yanni Dagonas. 

The TPS released suspect images Monday from surveillance cameras at York. 

The suspect was described as a male in his 20s with a medium build. In the photo, he is seen wearing a black hat, glasses, dark blue sweater, light-coloured pants, and thick black gloves. He appears to be carrying a bucket draped with a cloth. 

The TPS released more images on Tuesday of the suspect believed to be responsible for the U of T assaults.

According to CP24, Constable Victor Kwong said the suspect descriptions in all three incidents are similar. Regarding the incidents that took place in and near U of T, the suspect was described as a male in his 30s with a medium build, wearing a yellow construction hat, a blue shirt and gloves. 

Opoku is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, November 27.

By Mahdis Habibinia

Mahdis is a York University graduate with an Honours BA in Professional Writing, a Certificate in Spanish Language Proficiency, and an expected Master of Journalism '23. She is also fluent in Farsi. She began her journey with Excalibur as a contributor in 2017 then worked as executive editor from 2018-2020. For the 2020-2021 year, Mahdis served as editor-in-chief. She is curious about the world, BIPOC stories, and passionate about writing as a platform for advocacy and representation. She hopes to one day add to the diversity of Canadian media both in the content it produces and as a staff member. When Mahdis is not writing or editing or correcting people on the spelling of her name, she is likely marathon-viewing thrillers and crime shows that oddly bear no impact on her sleep.