Athlete spotlight: Cyanna King of the women’s basketball team

(Courtesy of York University Athletics)

The York Lions’ various varsity sports teams are an integral part of the York community. Athletes are chosen to represent York in matches against other schools, and have the opportunity to train with other like-minded individuals, make connections, and play the sports they love. Although there are many different athletes from many different sports to choose from at this university, only one of them proudly represented the Women’s basketball team as the OUA Athlete of the Week for the week of November 22. Her name is Cyanna King.

King is a children’s studies and concurrent education student who has been playing basketball at York for four years. She is currently in her fifth year of school, and next year will be her last year playing for the team.

Standing at five feet and 11 inches, King has an impressive history with basketball, from helping her highschool team with the junior girls’ LOSSA championship back in 2014 to appearing in over 65 games throughout her time at the university. King is the definition of a well-rounded student, receiving an average of over 7.5 GPA during 2020-2021 U SPORTS season and receiving a Lions Achievement Award in 2022 in addition to her success on the court. King is also highly regarded by her mentors and has left a lasting impression on them.

Christa Eniojukan, the head coach of York’s Women’s Varsity Basketball, says, “Cyanna is an integral part of our team and provides a fierce presence on the court on both ends of the floor. Whether she is fighting for boards, finishing ‘and one’ plays, or protecting our basket. She consistently brings a tenacious presence. Off the court, she is continuing to grow as a leader with our leadership team.” 

When recounting how she felt about being named Athlete of the Week, King states that she was happy and surprised. “I knew that I played really well, but I was not expecting this. It was a great surprise and reminded me that hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.” Hardwork is definitely an understatement here, as King has dedicated copious amounts of time to the team and has spent the past few years bonding with her teammates.

“We have a great family dynamic. I love my teammates and the new coaching staff we have this year,” King says.

King’s love for basketball goes much further than simply being on the varsity team. Although she has only been playing basketball for four years at York, she’s been playing the sport since she was 10 years old, giving her a total of about 13 years of experience. 

As of now, King is currently thinking about her future in the sport. “I previously thought that I only wanted to play basketball during university. But I have been thinking about it lately and I might want to go pro later on.”

But outside of this life, who is Cyanna King?

When asked this question, King responds with a summary of her interests. “I love listening to music and watching shows. In the future, I am also hoping to get into teaching. I want to become an elementary school teacher and maybe teach overseas.” 

It is obvious that King has a lot of potential for the future, whether it is furthering her basketball career or pursuing her passion for teaching and continuing to be a fundamental part of a team. Being both an academic and athletic success, King has an abundance of options laid out for her, and is truly the perfect example of Black excellence.

By Jaidah-Leigh Wyatt

Interested in becoming a contributor? Check out our Get Involved Page