Study permit cap hits York where it hurts

(Riddhi Jani)

Last year, over 800,000 international students arrived to start university in Canada. At York, international students make up 18 percent of the student population, many of whom come to Canada for a diploma and stay to build a life, thanks to the Canadian pathway to citizenship. This fall, the number of international students enrolled in university will be 35 per cent less. 

On Jan. 22, the Federal Government announced that only 360,000 new study permits will be issued in 2024, which amounts to a 35 per cent reduction from 2023. Study permit renewals, as well as students applying for graduate and PhD programs, will not be affected. 

The temporary cap is meant to address the “rapid” and “unsustainable” influx of international students into Canada over the last several years. According to Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, this legislation will target institutions who have been engaging in an unsustainable increase in international enrolment for profit without maintaining support systems in place. 

“It’s unacceptable that some private institutions have taken advantage of international students by operating under-resourced campuses, lacking supports for students and charging high tuition fees,” said Miller in a news conference in January. The new program would ensure “the integrity of our immigration system while setting students up for the success they hope for.”

The limit will be different for every province, but there is no doubt that York will be hit hard by this legislation. According to the Auditor-General report, international students account for “almost half” of York’s tuition revenue. 

International tuition at the university is almost five times higher than the domestic. Now that fewer international students are expected to enrol, there is a worry that international tuition will increase even further to mitigate the financial impact on the university.

Deputy spokesperson from York’s media relations team, Yanni Dagonas, says the legislation might present financial difficulties for the university. “It is certainly true that a decline in international enrolment may impact York’s revenues,” he explains. 

Dagonas believes “domestic tuition rates are not expected to be increased in the near future,” which brings international tuition further into question.  Ironically, the cap meant to help improve conditions for international students might make it difficult for some to afford Canadian education.

According to Dagonas, York plans to “grow enrolment” and “diversify sources of revenue” to ensure the university is financially sustainable. 

The crisis of affordable rental housing is another reason behind the effort to maintain the international student population the same in the next two years. Miller commented that the growth of international students “puts pressure on housing, health care and other services.”

According to the 2023 report from the Canadian Bureau for International Studies, Canada has seen a 63 per cent increase in the number of international students over the past five years. Housing Minister Sean Fraser has said that certain areas of Canada have experienced population growth due to “institutions taking on more students than they can handle.” 

This is especially accurate in big cities, such as Toronto, where the average rental price for a two-bedroom apartment is $2,350. With the cap introduced, he expects the pressure to be “alleviated on the rental market.”

While the housing crisis is hard-hitting, some students feel it is counterproductive to tackle the problem at the expense of new international students. An anonymous York student says the cap “reduces the influx of potential students coming into Canada that can help the government which in turn will help fund housing and job markets.”

For the student, the Canadian open immigration policy was one of the reasons for moving here. “I was inspired and impressed by Canada’s open hearted nature which led me to choose to study in Canada,” they say. 

As York waits for information on how many international spots will be allocated to York from the provincial study permit limit, the university seeks to demonstrate its capability to support incoming students by providing housing. 

“At York, we are looking at both short and long term housing solutions for all students and we know that international students need affordable, safe, and adequate housing options,” Dagonas says. “First year students within Canada or internationally are guaranteed a space in residence for the next fall term if they apply by their respective application deadlines; May 1 for international students

“This academic year, York has been able to offer a bed to everyone who requested one, including international students,” Dagonas adds.

In addition, York will now be required to supply new students with a Provincial Attestation Letter to submit with their study permit application. “York University will do everything we can to make this process clear for all of our new international students,” Dagonas says.  

He adds: “International students graduating from York University will continue to benefit from a world-class education and be eligible to remain in Canada to work if they so choose,” but for many who could have had this chance in the fall, the window to a new life will be constricted to improve conditions for others.

By Stacey Kuznetsova

News Editor

news@excal.on.ca

1 Comment
Alexander Houston

The first paragraph contains a huge mistake. It’s not true that “This fall, the number of international students enrolled in university will be 35 per cent less.” The writer needs to do her homework on how the quota will in fact work, not state reductive conclusions as fact.

Provincial governments will decide the quotas received by each school in their jurisdiction. It’s highly unlikely universities will see any reductions at all. The provinces need international students at public institutions because international student fees assist the universities (and therefore the provinces) in keeping their budgets under control. Rather, it’s the fly-by-night (“puppy-mill”) private colleges that you may have seen popping up in your local strip malls that will bear the brunt. And rightfully so.